1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ecu programmers and computer chips

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by turbothompson13, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Apr 25, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    turbothompson13

turbothompson13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Parkersburg, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7L
    4.5 inch front suspension lift, 3 inch rear end block lifts, 4 inches total lift, k&n cold air intake, racing shocks, front bilstien rear fox shocks, n fab pre runner light bar/bumper with fog lights, 33 inch nitto dune grapplers and ballistic jester 18 inch wheels.
    has anyone found any or used any performance programmers or ecu chips on there 2.7L? also i am looking for one that is a 05+ if anyone knows anything about these please let me know, finding parts for a 4 banger tacoma are about impossibe.

2. May 1, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    surfntaco

surfntaco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    SR5 access cab
    Chips are used in forced induction motors (turbos/superchargers) to reprogram fuel maps and force more air in faster. They don't do much for normally aspirated motors. Toyota has pretty much optimized everything already.

3. May 1, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    turbothompson13

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Parkersburg, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7L
    4.5 inch front suspension lift, 3 inch rear end block lifts, 4 inches total lift, k&n cold air intake, racing shocks, front bilstien rear fox shocks, n fab pre runner light bar/bumper with fog lights, 33 inch nitto dune grapplers and ballistic jester 18 inch wheels.
    yeah, i was just wondering if anyone had found anything that helped pull out a few more ponies. the only thin i have found so far has been the urd maf calibrater. since i have a exhaust and a cai.

4. May 1, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    frog13

frog13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Since the manufactures have to make all engines conform to EPA standards(lean settings...jetted/injected) then I presume ther is no way to make your injected engine run,more on the rich side....to help decrease operational temps?.You would probably have to install an entirely different/reconfigured ECU?.

5. May 2, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    turbothompson13

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Parkersburg, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7L
    i was kinda thinking that too. for a lot of newer cars ecu chips dont really work. you usually have to get the whole ecu, i have seen a few things that supposedly work tho, and i may give something a try because i want any power i can get, because obviously that 4 banger dont have a whole lot.

6. Oct 2, 2021 at 6:39 PM
    Nealzer

Nealzer Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    double cab 4x4 4.0
    lift kit
    wondering the same. I have 2011 double cab 4.0 4x4. this is what I had to do in order to get the performance that it should have come with from the factory... At best completely stock in California this truck got 17 mpg's highway. Terrible. So E3 plugs, JBA Carb compliant headers, coupled with AFE throttle body spacer also carb compliant. That woke this truck up but mpg's only into mid 18'. Terrible. I recently added the jetchip MAF sensor, also Carb compliant, and reset the ECU per this column. The mpg's are now above 20...average with traffic and mostly above 70 mph getting 20.5, so probably above 21 when all out freeway no stop n go....runs great....EXCEPT... the new MAF throws a p101 code, only after the first startup and about ten minutes of driving. If I clear the code it stays off until the truck is turned off... Cant figure that out...ideas?

Products Discussed in

To Top