Notices

4cyl 4x4 in the mountains?

Old 04-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Effin A Cotton, Effin A
texastacobueno is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
texastacobueno's Tacoma Gallery
4cyl 4x4 in the mountains?

I had an '08 V6 4x4 sport that was awesome, but got an offer on a brand new (2011) xterra and the wife won out. But now I'm looking again. We'll most likely be moving to California soon, and I'm wondering. How does the 4cyl 5spd 4x4 do in the mountains and such. I don't speed around, but I do go camping/climbing/kayaking/ect. often. If you guys don't mind chimming in than I'd love to hear any advice! Thank you
Old 04-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Usually you can hold speed by going into 4th gear. Acceleration will be missing sometimes. If you arent loaded up and trying to do 75 mph its a steady reliable truck. Make no mistake though, it wont power you out n up like a v-6. I use mine going skiing /hiking. Corners better than most trucks, so ,on the windy river corners , i doubt you could ever be the holdup. If you get caught with a bit of a load and want to gain 10 mph on a grade , dont be surprised if the steeper grades make it real slow to 55 from 45.Good driving tactics and predicting the road, its lesser power wont be an issue.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
It does fine if I use 3rd gear, for 65, on the steepest grades. Just down shift early and you will do fine. I notice the speedo drops about 3-4mph (even when quick shifting,) when I down shift.

I am in Colorado.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
I have found the 5 speed to be pretty good on hills in 4th gear, Don't get the automatic version of the 2.7l.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
yeah dont get the 2.7 auto you will lose out on the mountains. if your towing under 1500 lbs you will be fine!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Effin A Cotton, Effin A
well i never tow, i just haul around 2 mountain bikes, or 2 kayaks, or 2 backpacks, or 2 snowboards, ect... I will never tow anything with it. I'm just interested ina trail/mountain capable small truck with a sporty look and solid reputation. oh I for got to add, OR 2 rhodesian ridgebacks. So the 4cyl would handle the steep inclines is what im gathering. In the way of tires are you guys staying stock?
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I run the stock dunlops summer, and some same sized AT severe weather rated, winter tires.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
Effin A Cotton, Effin A
another questions guys. The only other debate I have is 4wd or 2 wd. I want to life it a bit, and I've always had a fear when lifting a 4wd truck. Like CV angles and stuff. Any of you lift yours?
Old 04-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You will want All Terrain, passenger rated tires, if you are looking for MPGs and don't plan to do a lot of offroading (the stock size tires will work just fine 245/65 or 265/70.) If you get in to Offroading, get an LT tire.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
BRT

The only problem with lifting your truck is... you will continually want to buy more stuff.

Get the 4x4 if you live where it snows.

Go to http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ to get an idea of the pricing on things.

You can Google the items in my signature as well. I have a fairly "mild" truck and it does everything I want it to, with in reason.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
senile member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastacobueno View Post
another questions guys. The only other debate I have is 4wd or 2 wd. I want to life it a bit, and I've always had a fear when lifting a 4wd truck. Like CV angles and stuff. Any of you lift yours?

2wd is around 300lb less. The prerunner might be to your liking too. I see some roads that dont need 4wd, just a bit more ground clearance. I suppose where you go sill determine if you think you need 4wd. The CV joint/3" lift issue worries me too, i like the idea of a simple lifted 2wd to go hiking or deer hunting where im at, but i got 4wd for skiing /elk hunting , and to get to work. being a "city worker" I do plowing n such for snow.I'm not required to have an awd/4wd , but i wont put up with no traction and sliding if i dont need to.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
canucklehead will become famous soon enoughcanucklehead will become famous soon enough

canucklehead's Tacoma Gallery
i have no problems w/lift and camper shell. but you might want to test drive one first since you had a v6. when i went to the dealer i refused to drive anything other than the 4x4 4cyl so i wouldn't change my mind
Old 04-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
I have a camper shell and lift and when I drive over the mountains here in Cali I just take it out of overdrive and I'm able to stay with traffic.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #14
monkey wrench is on a distinguished road

Name: sean
monkey wrench's Tacoma Gallery
I live in the Sierra foothills & have the ac 4x4 2.7l 5sp. it gets along fine.

I think your satisfaction with the 2.7 will depend on your personality. I'm older and more patient then I was in my 20s. barreling up Hwy 88 like a raped ape is less appealing then it used to be. I just relax, turn up the radio and enjoy the ride. there is always someone slower then me on the road.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #15
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
A 4cylinder Tacoma will do fine in the mountains, as long your not in a hurry to go up hill. It will carry your bikes and dogs with no problem.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #16
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, I love my new truck. Same as what you would be looking at. Once you take the secondary filter out I find its perfect for creeping along getting good mpg, but with the 5 speed you get a little better kick if you need it. I would never buy the V6 unless I was going to do off-roading with it, or needed it for towing. I almost did but Im glad I didnt. I love getting 700+kms out of a tank lol
Old 04-29-2011, 04:40 AM   #17
Effin A Cotton, Effin A
awesome info guys thanks! By chance have any of you ever heard of someone putting a TRD OR electronic locking rear diff in one of these?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #18
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastacobueno View Post
awesome info guys thanks! By chance have any of you ever heard of someone putting a TRD OR electronic locking rear diff in one of these?
ya a few people have. cant remember exactly who but i will let you know when i remember
Old 04-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #19
BRT

Just get an ARB. It is better and you will be happier in the long run.