Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Anyone else have a 2WD in an area that gets snow?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
ScottyDaug is on a distinguished road
ScottyDaug's Tacoma Gallery
Post Anyone else have a 2WD in an area that gets snow?

I am curious if anybody else has a 2WD Tacoma in an area that gets snow. I am in the Northeast and I just purchased a 2WD Taco. I have talked too a few people that have run 2WD's in the winter with weight and studded snow tires and have been fine. The majority of people react like I had mentioned the Anti-Christ when I say "two wheel drive". The typical stock answer I get is, "I would never buy a two wheel drive truck, not living here." I would love to hear from other 2WD owners, especially ones that have already made it through some winter driving with their Taco's. I would also be interested in what they used for traction, weight, tires, etc.

Thank You,

Scott
Old 04-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I posted this in another thread like yours but it got totally ignored as usual. Ask all the moms in the midwest to east coast who drive their kids to and from school in a two wheel drive CAR or VAN muchless a truck, and folks like me. I was raised in Illinois and my mom got through some hairy snow situations in that big old Buick Electra-armed with snow tires and pure skill back in the 60s-70s. Not even posi! So we all know 4 wheel drive will be better in snow-but my point is that most folks do not own 4x4s, and DRIVER SKILL gets you there more than extra driveline. You drive like you would walk on a sheet of ice. You run a good set of snow tires. Your truck has good weight distribution unlike a pickup with a reg. cab and no weight in the back.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
I have no intention of starting a 2WD VS 4WD. I have no doubts about the advantage of 4WD in the snow, but budget dictated that this purchase be 2WD, so I'm just looking to hear some input from some fellow 2WD drivers, be it good, or bad.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry Scott I just realized you have a regular cab pickup-you are a bit light in the rear so maybe some sandbags in the rear of the bed would be helpful for traction and stopping.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
1st winter with mine and it did alright, and put off actually putting any real weight in the back, I had 1 sand bag.

She skidded once or twice and kicked the ABS in, so I'd say give yourself a little extra room, but overall did well in the snow. Keep momentum as much as possible. Be a "snow smart" driver, brake sooner and lighter, you'll get through.

Get some good tires.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Señor Member
AC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AC13JohnG's Tacoma Gallery
I am a huge advocate for snow tires. I have owned 2wd trucks for the last decade in NE Ohio being able to get through everything mother nature has thrown down. The stock 5 lug tires were crap in the snow. I bought all terrain tires for my new wheels and plan on running them when the snow comes back. If they don't work out I'll definitely get another set of blizzaks for the stock wheels. I have not run into anything that I needed 4wd to get through.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDaug View Post
I have no intention of starting a 2WD VS 4WD. I have no doubts about the advantage of 4WD in the snow, but budget dictated that this purchase be 2WD, so I'm just looking to hear some input from some fellow 2WD drivers, be it good, or bad.
Yeah..That warning wasn't for you. There are a few threads around here and tons of posts all over the internet with ideas about what to do for winter driving so it's been talked about- but in the past it has turned into a debate about 2wd vs 4wd.

Good luck getting the answers you are looking for!!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
monkey wrench is on a distinguished road

Name: sean
monkey wrench's Tacoma Gallery
I drove a 2wd taco in the Sierra foothills for 10 yrs. I would shovel 100 lbs of snow into the bed and get around just fine. the biggest hassel in ca is they have chain controls and require you to put chains on your vehicle when crossing over the Sierra. every once in a while I'd have to chain up because I needed the traction. I got shit for years because I ddnt have a 4x4.

on a side note; most vehicles that are in the ditch on the side of snowy ca hyws are 4x4s.

I had a 2wd chevy pickup in mt and id when we lived there. no problem. tractor tubes with sand were put in the bed and snow tires. we crossed Mt passes all over with no issue. 4x4 will get you moving when it's slick but it wont stop you or help you corner any better then 2wd.

disclaimer: I just bought a 4x4 taco.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
rjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Riley
rjclemen's Tacoma Gallery
07 pre. Did fine, just drive slow. Also, tires are a huge help, 60k mile m+s are fine.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
SuperTacoma will become famous soon enoughSuperTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Clint
SuperTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
We had a couple of good snow storms here in TN. Nothing like the north gets but the roads were not plowed and I drove 30 miles to work doing 40 to 50 mph and it did fine.
I have a 2011 DC SB TRD 2WD and the traction control kicked in a few times but I made it just fine.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
Thanks for all replies guys.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
Poot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Poot Klopp's Tacoma Gallery
I had my 2wd Tacoma in NJ this year and we got hammered by about 30 inches right after xmas. They declared a state of emergency but I had a ski trip planned in PA that I was not missing, I drove fine in plowed and non plowed roads. Had about 250lbs in the back and upgraded tires. After this winter all my doubts went away about having 2wd.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2005 Tacoma 4x4 DCBLB and guess what, i downsized to a 2011 Reg Cab Maual 4x2. I only actually used the 4x4 about 3 times this past winter in CT. It wasn't even worth having . Get some good tires/ weight and you are set! Don't listen to the naysayers. You will be amazed at all the 4x4's in the ditch because they think they are invinvible.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #16
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
just fyi, my dad runs a 5 lugger base and he just puts some weight in the back. havent heard any complaints from him. this is massachusetts too
Old 04-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2WD and last year, 2010, even with crappy stock tires I was never stranded during 3 snowfalls of 26 inches or more.

Dependable truck if you ask me. this past year I had better tires but hardly any snow.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
jblair is on a distinguished road

jblair's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, here's the deal.

I drive a 94 ford explorer that I want to kill. I put in in 4 by once this winter in colorado. My buddy's 99 taco with 4x4 works great...but not in 2 by. He doesn't have any extra weight in the back though. He's got 31" BFG all terrains and he couldn't move on a 1 % grade without putting in in 4by. To put in perspective, my dad's mustang works better in the snow than the taco in 2by. However, I mentioned before I used it one time this winter. Again, it's all about the weight. If you throw some sandbags or shovel snow in the bed, you'll be fine. If not, don't hit a hill and you'll be fine.

4by doesn't help with stopping at all, I guess you can kinda say that it helps with turning just because when you accelerate out of a turn, your back end wont swing as hard. 4by's just for getting moving, and unless you're wheeling in snow, you should be fine with a 2by with some weight in the back.

Hope that helped.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #19
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
i didn't read every one's reply but i am sure that i will say much of the same. i have had both 2 wheel drive and 4x4's in snow. both drive systems did well and if the weather ever got to the point that 4x4 was needed, i probably should have not been out in it. trust me there were a few times that i tempted fate with my 4runner and there was only one time i absolutely needed 4 wheel drive. that was to get up an incline that was unploughed and packed down from other cars. now if i am ever in that situation, unless there is a ditch, i usually get one side of my truck in unpacked snow on the shoulder, put it in first and let the torque of the engine pull me along.

the one thing that i have found that helps negate the affects of driving in snow is a set of dedicated snow tires or that your set is snow rated. the kumhos that i have did great and if they are ever discontinued i will immediately buy at least 2 extra sets.

don't forget to add weight to the bed for added traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey wrench View Post
on a side note; most vehicles that are in the ditch on the side of snowy ca hyws are 4x4s.
the same thing goes for colorado i can't tell you how many 4x4s i have seen in the ditch with plenty of 2 wheel drive cars driving by. 4 wheel drive does not make a driver any safer if they are not respectful of the snow.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #20
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poot Klopp View Post
I had my 2wd Tacoma in NJ this year and we got hammered by about 30 inches right after xmas. They declared a state of emergency but I had a ski trip planned in PA that I was not missing, I drove fine in plowed and non plowed roads. Had about 250lbs in the back and upgraded tires. After this winter all my doubts went away about having 2wd.

I'm also in the North East and I had no trouble at all getting around in the snow this past winter. And I'm still on the shitty stock tires.