Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Real World 4 Banger 4X4 Manual Mileage/Use?

Old 04-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
iiXioM is on a distinguished road
iiXioM's Tacoma Gallery
Real World 4 Banger 4X4 Manual Mileage/Use?

Hey guys I'm new here and ready to buy (another) tacoma. I used to have a V6 double cab in 08 but had to get rid of it.

I'm looking at getting a 2011 AC 4X4 5spd, and whenever i look up the MPG they look like they'd be rated for the 5 lug I4. What are you kind and nice individuals getting in terms of mileage? I kind of drive like a bat out of hell but I drive a tiny 100HP del sol. What are you lead footers gettings
Old 04-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen people getting 26+mpg on the reg cab 4x2 manual, however I've only had mine for a week so it's not even broken in yet. Welcome new member
Old 04-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
I can get 350 miles on 17 gallons (20.5 MPG) and I drive how I want, with the mods listed below.

Expect 22+ MPG with a non modified, stock tire, 4x4.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
VermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud of
Name: Devin
VermonterLost's Tacoma Gallery
Mines bone stock, 47k miles, 4x4, AC. Last tank got 24.4. Planning on making some changes, hoping to get over 25mpg! Winter gas I was only getting 17-18 though.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
If you drive with a lead foot, you'll get about the same mpgs with I4 or V6.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
iiXioM is on a distinguished road
iiXioM's Tacoma Gallery
I was getting a mixed bias from some buddies at work. They said the i4 would get about the same as the V6 because of the amount of gas needed to get up to speed. I don't expect myself to be driving it like its a sports car too much. Thanks guy!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
JEA86 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
JEA86's Tacoma Gallery
with my reg. cab 2010 4x4 4cyl, i get 26.23 MPG average
Old 04-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
BIGBADJON22 is on a distinguished road

Name: jonathan
BIGBADJON22's Tacoma Gallery
I just got my 2010 4x4 stick 3 weeks ago. I just drove to from So Cal to San Fran. and got 21 mpg and i have stock tires and a 2.5" leveling kit thats it. I drove at 85 90 the whole way.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #10
jking3002 is on a distinguished road

Army: USAG Fort Knox
Name: Jonathan
jking3002's Tacoma Gallery
Owned a Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4 for 16,000 miles now. 18.5 City and about 22.5 or more highway.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #11
RogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Deputy Chief
RogerRZ's Tacoma Gallery
Since I bought my 4cyl, 5spd AC, I burnt 85.5 gallons in 1661 miles. 19.42mpg. For half of these miles, I ran Kelly Safari TSR 10 plys, but this doesn't seem to have made much of a difference (weather got nicer as soon as I put them on). Mixed driving, all on two lane roads some 1/4 mile trips from a cold start, some 100 mile trips, no lead footing, but not really watching it either.

I'm quite happy, as my 4.8l Silverado got 14 mpg with similar driving, averaged over 21000 miles.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRZ View Post
Since I bought my 4cyl, 5spd AC, I burnt 85.5 gallons in 1661 miles. 19.42mpg. For half of these miles, I ran Kelly Safari TSR 10 plys, but this doesn't seem to have made much of a difference (weather got nicer as soon as I put them on). Mixed driving, all on two lane roads some 1/4 mile trips from a cold start, some 100 mile trips, no lead footing, but not really watching it either.

I'm quite happy, as my 4.8l Silverado got 14 mpg with similar driving, averaged over 21000 miles.
well since we will be useing the same gas (im almost %100 sure), you should get a scanguage and take the secondary filter out if you didnt already. I only have 500-1000kms on my new truck and Im getting 23mpg+ (US GAL) hand calculated so far. Still have a AFE pro dry in the mail too. Good luck
Old 04-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #13
jblair is on a distinguished road

jblair's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiXioM View Post
I was getting a mixed bias from some buddies at work. They said the i4 would get about the same as the V6 because of the amount of gas needed to get up to speed. I don't expect myself to be driving it like its a sports car too much. Thanks guy!
They're wrong. I4 makes plenty of power because, at least the first gens, are light enough. the v6 is just nice to have. I4 is great, better mileage and less maintenance.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #14
RogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Deputy Chief
RogerRZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
well since we will be useing the same gas (im almost %100 sure), you should get a scanguage and take the secondary filter out if you didnt already. I only have 500-1000kms on my new truck and Im getting 23mpg+ (US GAL) hand calculated so far. Still have a AFE pro dry in the mail too. Good luck

I took the charcoal out, and fwiw, my Chev got 10-12% less than the city rating, and the Tacoma seems to be getting the same. I'm still happy. Upon reflection, as a percentage of total mileage, I'd say my "highway" miles account for about 75%, but my total trips would have 75% of them less than 5 miles. I guess this would account for the lower mileage.

I'm thinking of an Ultragauge/Scangauge purchase soon...
Old 04-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #15
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRZ View Post
I took the charcoal out, and fwiw, my Chev got 10-12% less than the city rating, and the Tacoma seems to be getting the same. I'm still happy. Upon reflection, as a percentage of total mileage, I'd say my "highway" miles account for about 75%, but my total trips would have 75% of them less than 5 miles. I guess this would account for the lower mileage.

I'm thinking of an Ultragauge/Scangauge purchase soon...
ya once you get the calibration right, its great to see where you get the best mileage. Sometimes even going faster gets you better. I coast alot too
Old 04-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #16
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
I get 22mpg average with over 2 years of tracking it. This is mixed city and highway. The 5spd has 4.10 ratio instead of the 3.73 auto, so your going to be at a higher rpm on highway trips. If I do 70-75 i get about 20mpg if I do 65 and set cruise I do 22-23. You will see under 20mpg no matter what in winter.

If you gun it and race up to speed on highway you get under 20, if you take it smooth and average speeds you'll get above 20 no problem. All in how you drive. If you are a lead foot just get the V6.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #18
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
I averaged 19mpg on winter gas in mixed driving (bought it in November). 9 days out of 10 I have a very light foot and I rarely run it hard. I have never seen over 21mpg, but I am hoping to see a small improvement over the summer months.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroades View Post
I averaged 19mpg on winter gas in mixed driving (bought it in November). 9 days out of 10 I have a very light foot and I rarely run it hard. I have never seen over 21mpg, but I am hoping to see a small improvement over the summer months.
I say buy a scanguage
Old 05-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #20
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepidy View Post
if i keep it at 70mph on the highway i get 21.7 mpg

Yep, I see you have headers and an exhaust too...look like i may be adding some down the road then.