Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Lift my 4 cylinder tacoma?

Old 04-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
davrgalla is on a distinguished road
davrgalla's Tacoma Gallery
Lift my 4 cylinder tacoma?

Hey everybody, im new to the forum and i am looking to buy a new tacoma this month. I know i want a double cab tacoma and i plan to give it a 3 inch lift on 19 or 20 inch tires. My dilemma is weather or not to go with a 4 cylinder or 6. Dont really know how a 4 will preform on this truck with a lift. Hoping i can get some input or advice from other tacoma owners. Oh and i live in the texas hill country so the turain has many hills. Will i be constantly flooring it just to get around town with the 4?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Lifted double cab?

I'd go the sixer.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
I've had both , the 2.7l is great but for your setup, go with a V6.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davrgalla View Post
Hey everybody, im new to the forum and i am looking to buy a new tacoma this month. I know i want a double cab tacoma and i plan to give it a 3 inch lift on 19 or 20 inch tires. My dilemma is weather or not to go with a 4 cylinder or 6. Dont really know how a 4 will preform on this truck with a lift. Hoping i can get some input or advice from other tacoma owners. Oh and i live in the texas hill country so the turain has many hills. Will i be constantly flooring it just to get around town with the 4?
Checklist for when to get a 6-cylinder:
A) Wants a lifted truck
B) Wants to run larger tires
C) Drives around hills

While I'm sure a 4-banger would do fine in many instances, your situation screams V6 because you are changing the game a lot with all your needs.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmgt View Post
Checklist for when to get a 6-cylinder:
A) Wants a lifted truck
B) Wants to run larger tires
C) Drives around hills

While I'm sure a 4-banger would do fine in many instances, your situation screams V6 because you are changing the game a lot with all your needs.
Exactly, the 4cyl is for people who want to save gas and run stock. You can bet that a lift and bigger tires will drastically affect your gas mileage.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
sambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
sambojee's Tacoma Gallery
ive got a 4banger with a 3inch lift and 265s and i wish i had the v6. i get about 17mpg which is what most v6 guys get so ur not really saving any gas, just a slower truck that cant pull as much
Old 04-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
vierzwanzig is on a distinguished road
vierzwanzig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambojee View Post
ive got a 4banger with a 3inch lift and 265s and i wish i had the v6. i get about 17mpg which is what most v6 guys get so ur not really saving any gas, just a slower truck that cant pull as much
How fast do you normally drive? Do you have any mpg numbers from before and after lift?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
Exactly, the 4cyl is for people who want to save gas and run stock. You can bet that a lift and bigger tires will drastically affect your gas mileage.
I got the 4 banged cause thats all I could afford. I'm running 5" lift up front with 33" tires getting 24-25 mpg
Old 04-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
So your title says you have the i4 did you buy a taco already?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Actually gideon they do now offer a dc 4 banger for some reason lol
Old 05-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #15
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
As long as you adjust gearing according to increase in tire size, you'll be able to pull it just fine with a 4-cyl. The 4-cyl is a very capable engine. Where you run into problems is in mismatched power/tires/gearing.
While this is absolutely true it also alters the value proposition of the 4cyl. Regearing is not cheap and adds to the costs, when cost containment is one of the main reasons to get a 4cyl.
At some point it is just more cost effective to go with the 6cyl, but that is for the OP to decide.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
I agree with A and B , but C...around hills not so. Being he wants the DC ...even more so to get the 4.0.

If I really want to save gas , id get the 2wd, the 2.7 is a great match in the reg cab 4wd.

As far as 20"s id go 18" , you go bashing around offroad at a low psi, denting a nice 18" is risky enough with a 4500+lb truck before gear.
But really , Tacomas...build to your taste
Old 05-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
DC difference is only about an extra hundred pounds. I don't see how this factors into the consideration.
No idea what 100 lb you're talking about.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #18
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
I got the 4 banged cause thats all I could afford. I'm running 5" lift up front with 33" tires getting 24-25 mpg
NO WAY. i got a 2.7 with 31s and i get 19.2 when staying under 2.5k rpms and staying out of the throttle mostly freeway driving about 65-70.

i had to tow my trailer and bike to a race last weekend and got a wopping 13mpg
Old 05-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #19
senile member

I barely get 25 mpg freeway at 245/75r16 size.And thats at the 65 mph you keep hearing me bitch about.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
2011trdyota is on a distinguished road

Name: Eric
2011trdyota's Tacoma Gallery
I got a 2011 dc 4 banger for 21k with 13k miles and I lifted it I only lost a couple mpgs and IMO it looks better I don't tow anything