Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7L headers, what will it do for me?

Old 05-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #21
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post

Butt dyno can be inaccurate.
X2

People hear more noise, and assume they are getting more power.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #24
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Though fun I don't think I've spent more then 1 minute total in 2 years above 3500 rpm. Try it and you'll see it has plenty of power over 3000 just with stock setup. It really starts to pull at 3000. If you are living at 3500 even just shifting you'll get some sweet old school V8 mileage too.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #25
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassco View Post
Though fun I don't think I've spent more then 1 minute total in 2 years above 3500 rpm. Try it and you'll see it has plenty of power over 3000 just with stock setup. It really starts to pull at 3000. If you are living at 3500 even just shifting you'll get some sweet old school V8 mileage too.
True. But I want them to get a bit better mpg, add a little more power when I tow, and I love the sound
Old 05-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #26
wyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: BLM/FS
wyotaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Once I owned for a short period of time a 98 Heap Wrangler with the 2.5L 4 banger....for those considering a wrangler with a 4 banger DO NOT DO IT. That was the most gutless engine ever, producing if I remember correctly 120hp, and getting around 17mpg freeway. That POS had a hard time going up a hill on the interstate in third gear at 45mph, and offroad was gutless. My old 83 subaru wagon 4x4 could perform the same if not better than that Jeep offroad, no joke (besides the clearance factor in the subaru.)

Back to getting a header.

I was fed up with this gutless engine and wanted to try and get a little more power out of it (I was 19yrs old and didnt really know any better), so I ordered a header, not sure what kind it was anymore but it was around $400. It was a total PITA to install on that engine and took me a lot longer than it should have...but hey, I was only 19!!! I also had a K&N "cold air intake" (worthless), and put on a flow master.

Did not notice a damn bit of difference in power, just a lot louder, and it sounded like shit to be honest...like a four banger with a header/exhaust usually does IMO. Gas mileage stayed the same, I think I actually lost low end power. When I would tack it out to 3500rpm it was loud as hell and MAYBE a small increase in power.....in my mind/butt dyno. Sold that damn POS a few months later to another kid who thought the header was "cool"

I personally learned a lesson about headers on a 4 cylinder that year, not worth the hassle/money. On an old carbed v8 they kick ass and sound great, and even on newer FI v8's I like the sound, but below a v8 they just are not worth it In My Opinion. Put a turbo/supercharger on a 4/6 cylinder on top of the header then MAYBE the header is worth it.

Sorry for the long story, just remembering the days when I had a four cylinder and thought a header would be pretty sweet The 2.7 might be a little different than the 2.5 I had, but if your looking to gain power a header wont help much, if at all....
Old 05-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #27
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassco View Post

Very, very true...
Old 05-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #28
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
I think I could deal with the cost if I got 2 things out of it:

1. Better ability to hold hills on the highway and accelerate at 65 to 75 pass someone or make a move in traffic better

2. A little better mpg
Old 05-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #29
PR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nice
PR45's Tacoma Gallery
Deal killer if you are in CA: "CARB approval pending"

No CARB'em, no smog'em.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 AM   #30
vierzwanzig is on a distinguished road
vierzwanzig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR45 View Post

No CARB'em, no smog'em.
why god why ??
Old 05-05-2011, 05:27 AM   #31
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR45 View Post

No CARB'em, no smog'em.
Doug Thorley's are 50 state legal....

http://dougthorleyheaders.com/faqs#question2

Quote:
Q: Are your headers smog legal?
A2: Yes!!! All of our headers are smog legal in all 50 states. The EO or carb number is welded on each header.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #32
reece54 is a splendid one to beholdreece54 is a splendid one to beholdreece54 is a splendid one to beholdreece54 is a splendid one to beholdreece54 is a splendid one to beholdreece54 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Reece
reece54's Tacoma Gallery
Are the LCE headers better than Doug Thorleyheaders?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #33
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by reece54 View Post
Are the LCE headers better than Doug Thorleyheaders?
I dont know. But if I had to do it again, I would try the LCE. I am very happy with my Thorley - my truck sounds great and has lots of power (but I dont know how much this has to do with the Thorley header).

I do know the Thorley header looks almost exactly like the stock one, so it keeps me wondering how much of a difference it can actually make. The LCE header is much larger and more complex, so that leads me to believe it may allow for more power gains. But I dont know.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #34
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
I often think about selling the DT sitting on my couch but I want to put it on a try it too. Not sure what is better but if one is it wouldn't be by much. You can only squeeze so much out of a 2.7
Old 05-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #35
Kermit
SVHANC is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
SVHANC's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the LCE and have been happy with it.
There are several long grades on I-40 that I used to have to downshift to 4th to maintain 70+mph on that I can now maintain in 5th gear.
From a mpg standpoint, the jury is still out since my driving changed a lot after I got the headers (much more extended 70+mph running). My impression is that the highway mileage improved maybe 1mpg, but the data is inconclusive.

Not much difference in sound except maybe a slight drone at 2k rpm under load.

The only other real mods to engine are the AFE Pro-Dry and the charcoal filter delete.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #36
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Don't spend money on a cold air intake if you have a older tacoma . Do deckplate mod or snorkel it.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:33 AM   #37
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Do it..........if you can find one. Didn't they stop making these?

I was lucky enough to score slightly used..........
Old 05-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #39
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Literally doesn't mean jack cuz I heard it second hand but for what it's worth I've heard the notion that LCE did better low end, DT mid/high due to length or some technological theoretical madness.

Anyone got empirical evidence? Dynos?

Also this alone vs header + high flow cat and cat back will obviously show less. It all depends on how much dough you want to fork over for a few HP/mpg.