Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7L headers, what will it do for me?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
2.7L headers, what will it do for me?

I am not familiar with headers whatsoever and what kind of difference they would make for me. Does anyone have these on their 4 cylinders and what does it do for you?

Also, have a aFe pro dry S filter but thinking about doing full CAI, would this be worth doing?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal4banger View Post
I am not familiar with headers whatsoever and what kind of difference they would make for me. Does anyone have these on their 4 cylinders and what does it do for you?

Also, have a aFe pro dry S filter but thinking about doing full CAI, would this be worth doing?

Thanks
The header are the best performance modification for the 2.7L, you can expect between 4-10whp above 3k rpm. The header will also make your truck louder. If you go with a header go with LC Engineering header. The equal length, larger diameter runners, give you the best bang for your buck aside from Forced Induction.

CAI will give you 1-3whp, and a lot of noise.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Awesome thanks. Do I just check our their site or order from a local shop? Do you run either?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Awesome thanks. Do I just check our their site or order from a local shop? Do you run either?
I don't have a header, but I know enough about how engine works and how modification effects EFI engine to make an educate guess...lol

Here is a link for ya; http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...6-246DA163E762
Old 05-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
11-98 MUD

Law Enforcement:
awesome thank you again. I might be doing this.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
11-98 MUD

Law Enforcement:
But as far as the CAI, it wont do anything? Just louder?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
But as far as the CAI, it wont do anything? Just louder?
As far as hp and tq gains, maybe 1-3whp above 3k rpm and at 50%+ throttle. If you want as much performance from your 2.7L as you can extract, get CAI by all means. I don't think its worth it IMHO. $300 for 1-3whp is crazy expensive and finding used CAI for the 2.7L is almost impossible.

Don't expect more low end grunt from CAI and header. All these modifications do is they allow more AIR in to the engine and more AIR from the engine. The stock intake and exhaust manifold work awesome below 3.5k rpm and below 50-60% throttle. Toyota designed the intake and header restrictive to some degree so they could keep the engine as quiet as possible without sacrificing much performance, especially below 3.5k rpm and below 50-60% throttle (closed loop) which is where most people are when they drive these work trucks. The stock intake and exhaust manifold becomes restrictive above 3.5k rpm and above 50-60% throttle, choking the engine and not allowing the maximum hp and tq output. By adding CAI and header the engine can breathe and exhale better above 3.5k rpm and above 50-60% throttle, the smart ECU squirts more fuel to compensate for the added air and the engine makes little bit more power. These gains come with the truck becoming louder especially when its above 3.5K rpm at 50-60%+ throttle.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #8
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
The header are the best performance modification for the 2.7L, you can expect between 4-10whp above 3k rpm. The header will also make your truck louder. If you go with a header go with LC Engineering header. The equal length, larger diameter runners, give you the best bang for your buck aside from Forced Induction.

Actually the 2.7 supercharger is the best performance modification.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #9
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
Actually the 2.7 supercharger is the best performance modification.
Quote:

Forced Induction means "Supercharger", "Turbocharger", "Nitrous"...
Old 05-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #10
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Forced Induction means "Supercharger", "Turbocharger", "Nitrous"...
Gotcha. Skimmed it.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #11

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Crap. Not to threadjack but since headers and superchargers came up I was trying to find a website I used to frequent for such items as well as complete 3rz racing blocks. It was like 3 letters. Lwc or Lmt something like that. Anyone know what i'm refering to?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #12
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
Crap. Not to threadjack but since headers and superchargers came up I was trying to find a website I used to frequent for such items as well as complete 3rz racing blocks. It was like 3 letters. Lwc or Lmt something like that. Anyone know what i'm refering to?
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...B-BD46A0CF5422
Old 05-03-2011, 12:36 AM   #13

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LCE. I'd rep you sir but my droid x wont let me for some reason. Thx.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #16
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
I'm liking some of the stuff from LC Engineering. Wonder how much help the electric fan would be. I know it will make the AC work better while in traffic. The price on their clutches is pretty good too!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #17

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
I'm liking some of the stuff from LC Engineering. Wonder how much help the electric fan would be. I know it will make the AC work better while in traffic. The price on their clutches is pretty good too!
Yea. I used to frequent this site alot and daydream. Some of there 22re motors are making some wicked hp. Very well respected company.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #18
Kravchenko is on a distinguished road
Kravchenko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As far as hp and tq gains, maybe 1-3whp above 3k rpm and at 50%+ throttle. If you want as much performance from your 2.7L as you can extract, get CAI by all means. I don't think its worth it IMHO. $300 for 1-3whp is crazy expensive and finding used CAI for the 2.7L is almost impossible.

Don't expect more low end grunt from CAI and header. All these modifications do is they allow more AIR in to the engine and more AIR from the engine. The stock intake and exhaust manifold work awesome below 3.5k rpm and below 50-60% throttle. Toyota designed the intake and header restrictive to some degree so they could keep the engine as quiet as possible without sacrificing much performance, especially below 3.5k rpm and below 50-60% throttle (closed loop) which is where most people are when they drive these work trucks. The stock intake and exhaust manifold becomes restrictive above 3.5k rpm and above 50-60% throttle, choking the engine and not allowing the maximum hp and tq output. By adding CAI and header the engine can breathe and exhale better above 3.5k rpm and above 50-60% throttle, the smart ECU squirts more fuel to compensate for the added air and the engine makes little bit more power. These gains come with the truck becoming louder especially when its above 3.5K rpm at 50-60%+ throttle.
My concern about headers: Would I lose low end torque and hp? Or would there be a minor increase?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #20
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kravchenko View Post
My concern about headers: Would I lose low end torque and hp? Or would there be a minor increase?
That depends on engine and header design. If the runners and collector are too big, yes you will loose low end power. I wouldn't be able to answer your question without looking at a dyno graph of stock 2.7L and 2.7L with LCE header.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepidy View Post
I didnt loose any low end torque or HP as a matter of fact I feel like I gained
Butt dyno can be inaccurate.