1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

having a hard time finding clutch replacement info

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by jeffz0rz, May 8, 2011.

1. May 8, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    jeffz0rz

jeffz0rz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma 4cyl, 5spd
    my 96 2.4 is starting to slip a little. anything i can adjust to get a little life out of the clutch, or is it time to replace? no idea how old it is. cant fine a how to thread about clutch replacement. any ideas ?

2. May 8, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    Buggys3sgte

Buggys3sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    !@$*
    Psycho state of AZ
    Vehicle:
    97 BUDGET Taco
    Newly rearranged front end, sick Hurst shifter yo gives it lightning fast shifts, thats it more to come.
    What's the mileage on the truck? More then likely it's shot and i would just plan to put a new clutch kit in. Might be a little bit of a pain on the ground but very doable. Most clutch kits come with installation instructions just pay close attention to them and do not skip any steps whatsoever. If you are in tucson, az i could throw it in for ya for a nominale fee so make the trip down i will take care of ya. Also make sure the clutch isn't slipping from oil leaks from the motor, pressure plates and oil are not friends. Hope this helps you a little bit.

3. May 9, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    jeffz0rz

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma 4cyl, 5spd
    It has about 260xxx on it. Any place I should look for a clutch kit?

4. May 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    LCengineering.com
    Have the flywheel machined too.

5. May 9, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    You'll need a pilot bearing puller. Not sure if you can rent them from autozone or not.

6. May 9, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    jeffz0rz

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma 4cyl, 5spd
    I will definitely have the flywheel machined. Any pros or cons to Lightening my flywheel as well? Truck is on 31's, and just has Cai, and a header.

7. May 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    I would replace it, but they are expensive. It may be worth machining. Find a local racing shop and ask them.
    Machining takes off thousandths of an inch. It will make it slightly more subject to getting hot faster, just like machining rotors. It's really up to you. If you plan on keeping it for a long time, replace it.

8. May 9, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Just caught the larger tire issue. Replace the flywheel and go with the stronger clutch while you're in there.

9. May 9, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    Buggys3sgte

Buggys3sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    !@$*
    Psycho state of AZ
    Vehicle:
    97 BUDGET Taco
    Newly rearranged front end, sick Hurst shifter yo gives it lightning fast shifts, thats it more to come.

Umm hey man i don't know if you have ever seen a factory toyota flywheel and how thick they are but even after machining them and taking off 1 thousandth it isn't enough to heat the flywheel up so that it warps, plus they get hot even when they are factory thickness. I only replace flywheels when they have been turned numerous times or some meathead leaves it in the elements and it rusts leaving the surface with pitting. If this is your 1st or 2nd clutch replacment your fine to get it turned and move on with life. If it's a stock motor and a DD i would just buy an exedy stock replacment no need for over kill unless you like it, which i have run a stage2 from LC and loved it but it's your preference. Also do not lighten your flywheel if you love good gas mileage as a super light flywheel like say LC's 9 lb. aluminum will kill mileage because it is like a constant engine break. When you let off the gas it will automatically start slowing down because there is not enough weight to keep the inertia going hence forth you will have to stay on the gas to keep a constant speed. Hope this helps out with where you wanna go with the truck.

10. May 9, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    jeffz0rz

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma 4cyl, 5spd
    Awesome info. Thanks guys. I'll go with a heavier duty clutch, and depending on the flywheel condition, either replace it or turn it. I love my gas milrage so ill steer clear of the lightening flywheel. I'm confide-t that i have the skills to replace the cluth myself.

Products Discussed in

To Top