Notices

It's freezing outside and you're stuck

Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Six lugs of fury!
Performula is on a distinguished road
Name: Justinian the Gr3iht
Performula's Tacoma Gallery
It's freezing outside and you're stuck

Maybe wheeling around in the middle of no where or, sucked into a ditch off a rural road, maybe you happened to get in the middle of a huge snow storm on a two hour commute, a child is in the car, nobody is around, etc. The tow truck dispatcher says the driver won't be there for 4 hours. Just in case, I'd probably guess an additional 2 hours. You have a 1/4 tank of gas. Will the truck idle for that long without running out of fuel? Better yet, how long would a half of tank last, or a full tank at idle?

No winch, blanket, and "I wouldn't be in that situation" comments.

These things happen...
Old 05-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
the boss man
trek is on a distinguished road
trek's Tacoma Gallery
if things got that bad probably 911.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
Mr. President
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
it will warm you up

idk how long the fuel would last, but i wouldnt turn it on till I absolutely needed it my 2 cents
Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
Six lugs of fury!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
if things got that bad probably 911.
Haha, come on man, I have a commitment here.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:50 AM   #6
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
On a road like you describe I would have more than a 1/4 tank.I'll bet you could idle 2-3 hrs per gallon.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Well I have 3 space blankets, a cap, some gloves and a few hand-heaters in my car already. Plus enough fire-starting methods to set half of CA on fire (ie, one match ). I think I'd be OK overnight if need be. If it was snowing out I'd already have a weather appropriate jacket. I'm from CA, so I don't dress for house-to-car. I don't stay warm enough in that 10 seconds! No worries. The only thing I'd probably do is get out once an hour if it was snowing to brush off the roof of the car and maybe clear the exhaust pope. Probably would only run the car a few minutes every hour.

No baby on board for me, but if I ever had a kid, you'd bet a few diapers and another blanket would be tucked away. Maybe some forumla too. There's lots of places to secrete items in the Taco.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:55 AM   #8
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
On a road like you describe I would have more than a 1/4 tank.I'll bet you could idle 2-3 hrs per gallon.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #9
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery

I would like to know too.

Lets say the question was phrased differently. Say I just wanted to see how long my truck (4.0) would run at idle JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT, with only a quarter tank remaining.

How long would it idle?

My 06 4cyl would burn very roughly 1/8 of a tank in approx 5 hours. (I've been in situations where I have no choice but to sleep in it)
Old 05-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
Six lugs of fury!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
The tacoma gas gauge is screwy.
You're telling me! Many times the gauge will flicker between a 1/16th (fuel light) and on the "E" line. Sounds small but it's a pretty big gap. If I'm parked at any slight angle the variance has been almost a 1/4 of a tank. Crazy.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
Six lugs of fury!
Another reason why I posted this... I swear I can watch that gauge move at idle with the A/C off!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Carry the right supplies before you get yourself in that situation. Emergency blanket, hot hands, wear the apropriate clothing ect.
x2. I don't off road but still keep a blanket, hat, gloves, boots and a heavy jacket in my truck during the winter. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
Murrfk has a spectacular aura aboutMurrfk has a spectacular aura about
Murrfk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Performula View Post
Another reason why I posted this... I swear I can watch that gauge move at idle with the A/C off!
You should turn off the A/C if it is already freezing outside.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
Mr. Boombastic
TacoIII will become famous soon enoughTacoIII will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Security forces
Name: Andrew
TacoIII's Tacoma Gallery
one night while we were camping in the mountains we all got into my truck and slept with it on. i do not remember my needle moving that much, it was a good 6 hrs
Old 05-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #15
VermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud of
Name: Devin
VermonterLost's Tacoma Gallery
Never idle when sitting still in the truck in a snowstorm. Sounds dumb I know and I'm guilty of it too. Couple years ago the plumber I work with's granddaughter got stuck in the parking lot of a ski area over night. She and her friends ended up having to sit in the car all night, left the car idling. 3 died including his granddaughter. CO poisoning, snowed enough it kinda blocked where the exhaust had been blowing, got recirculated into the car. I realize 99% of the time nothing's gonna happen, but where you specifically say your kids in the truck, bring a damn blanket!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Eat the kid. You can always have another one.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #17
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VermonterLost View Post
Never idle when sitting still in the truck in a snowstorm. Sounds dumb I know and I'm guilty of it too. Couple years ago the plumber I work with's granddaughter got stuck in the parking lot of a ski area over night. She and her friends ended up having to sit in the car all night, left the car idling. 3 died including his granddaughter. CO poisoning, snowed enough it kinda blocked where the exhaust had been blowing, got recirculated into the car. I realize 99% of the time nothing's gonna happen, but where you specifically say your kids in the truck, bring a damn blanket!

its ok to idle the car if you are stuck, just be sure to clear the exhaust, of course if it gets burried you are in serious trouble, but you have to just make sure u clear plenty around it and clear it often enough to not burry it.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #18
kite will become famous soon enough

kite's Tacoma Gallery
When warm, my 2.7L burns 1.1L per hour or around .3 gallons per hour at idle. You would be fine.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #19
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
I would MacGyver a hang glider out of my headliner and my spare jack kit and fly out of there to safety.