Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

burn a quart of oil

Old 05-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
timb is on a distinguished road
timb's Tacoma Gallery
burn a quart of oil

I notice my 2.4 burns about a quart of oil every oil change about 3-4 thousand miles its a quart low. Have 180k miles,,,is this normal for this miles or should I do something like oil additive...........whats the cause? there is no oil leaks either
Old 05-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
I notice my 2.4 burns about a quart of oil every oil change about 3-4 thousand miles its a quart low. Have 180k miles,,,is this normal for this miles or should I do something like oil additive...........whats the cause? there is no oil leaks either
Perfectly normal for 180k mile engine.

Hell the 2.4L in my wife's Camry burns a quart between oil changes and that motor has 92k on it...
Old 05-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
All engines should burn some oil between changes. Does it smoke on startup? If so, it either has an internal leak, or the oil control rings are wearing out. External leaks are easier to find, but not as easy to fix.
More than a quart per 3000 miles is excessive. You are right on the tipping point. Make sure you eliminate external leaks before calling it a smoker!
Additives are a band-aid and will either thicken the oil(BAD) or cause the seals to swell, which will only help leaky engines. Claims of sealing the cylinder walls and fixing the rings? Snake oil.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
All engines should burn some oil between changes. Does it smoke on startup? If so, it either has an internal leak, or the oil control rings are wearing out. External leaks are easier to find, but not as easy to fix.
More than a quart per 3000 miles is excessive. You are right on the tipping point. Make sure you eliminate external leaks before calling it a smoker!
Additives are a band-aid and will either thicken the oil(BAD) or cause the seals to swell, which will only help leaky engines. Claims of sealing the cylinder walls and fixing the rings? Snake oil.
I wouldn't worry about 1quart between 3-4k miles. At 180k miles you run it till it dies or you rebuilt it completely, oil consumption is most likely caused by worn piston rings, which again on an engine with 180k is not surprising or unusual.

The ghetto redneck way is to pour in some conventional 20w50...LOL
Old 05-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
20w50 Works, but drops mpg, more startup wear, harder cold starts.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
All engines should burn some oil between changes.
My Dad's 2006 Highlander has a 2.7L engine like my truck has and neither one burns oil between changes, that we can tell... I suppose it might burn 1-2 ounces but it's never enough to notice on the stick, the level always appears the same after a change and before doing the next one.

Quote:
More than a quart per 3000 miles is excessive.
Couldn't agree more, definitely would fail a smog check burning that much.