Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

96 tacoma 2.4 fuel problems

Old 05-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
sledge is on a distinguished road
sledge's Tacoma Gallery
96 tacoma 2.4 fuel problems

hello new here any info apprcieated, haveing fuel problems have bed off of truck today pump still in truck cant here pump running when key is on. does anybody know if thier is a relay beside the one in the fuse box by the motor the efi fuse. could somebody point me in the right direction before i pull pump out tommorow . thiers juice at the fuse and pump around 9 v is that about right. really dont no how to test at pump stuck needles in thier neg, and pos. and it read 9 on 2 or 3 prongs. anyway if anybody has some pointers would be apprcieated cant find any relays under dash pump is makeing no noise with key on plan on changeing fuel filter if i do change pump but cant find it either thanks in advance sledge
Old 05-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
SteveoDood is on a distinguished road
Navy: DEP
Name: Steven
SteveoDood's Tacoma Gallery
When you turn the key, does it try to start? Or just turn over?

The reason I ask is because I has a similar problem recently. I replaced everything I thought it was and still came to no conclusion about what was actually causing the problem (other than it was fuel related.)

I tested the pump by hooking the wires directly to the battery. While this can be dangerous, you will know for sure whether or not that is your problem.

Replacing the fuel filter is not a bad idea, seeing as how a clogged filter can cause problems later on.

I'm pretty sure that the EFI fuse is the only relay for the fuel pump... I could be mistaken, but I remember talking to a guy at the dealership about it, and I came to the conclusion that there was not other relay that directly affected the fuel pump (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

What my problem ended up being was I hauled a load of bricks that was too heavy for my suspension. Being so low, I went over a small curb (on the sidewalk) and dented the fuel tank just below the fuel pump, so it was actually pushing the fuel pump above the line of fuel, so even though my gauge read in between 1/4 and 1/2, the fuel pump was not grabbing any of the gasoline!

Right after you turn the key, do you hear the pump kick on and click off?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
-Can usually hear the FP "prime" when you first turn the key. Does it do this?
-The FP relay. Find it, have someone just turn the key. Is the Relay clicking?
-Check for power back to the pump.
-Hotwire the pump. does it work?