LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2011 2.7l occasional backfire on startup??

Old 05-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #21
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
I get it too, also only on cold starts when it is cool outside, usually in the morning, almost never in the afternoon though. Truck is stock, still has the secondary air filter.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #22
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
My 2008 4 cyl does it every now and then. I wonder if this is happening to people who removed the secondary air filter. It happens to me usually on a full cold start after sitting overnight, especially after a longer run of 20+ miles.

my 2ndary is removed. You could be onto something,
Old 05-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #23
Black08Taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
Black08Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 08. I used to get the pop on cooler mornings after sitting for a wile. I think it is unburt fuel in the cat. I let mine sit and idle for a few seconds before shutting it off. Hasen't done it in 20k miles ever since. it fixed it for me.

I also have a K&N cold air intake. Did it before and after that was installed...
Old 05-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #24
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
my 2ndary is removed. You could be onto something,
when my truck was completley stock, it backfired on startup. when i took out the stock filter, it still backfired. and when i took out the secondary filter, it backfired on startup. and then i put a new muffler on, and it backfires even louder now

most of the people i know with the 2TRs have this problem. seems normal i guess.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #25
911-3.2 is on a distinguished road

911-3.2's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it sometimes as well. I could be wrong, but it seems to happen if I shut the truck down immediately upon parking vs waiting a few seconds for it to idle down. Especially if I had just had to rev it a bit to inch into a spot. Either way I doubt it is anything to worry about. Just seems like a bit of leftover fuel burning off.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #26
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mine only does it when its been sitting out in the cold and on a slant that makes the nose of the truck lower than the rear
Old 05-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #27
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
Does anyone experience a backfire on the 2.7l sometimes on startup?? I just bought this truck and it a has under 2,000 mi. Every once in awhile I get a backfire on startup. I came from a 4.0 v6 taco and never experienced this before.
We've got two 09 2.7s at work. I drive one of them. It always runs perfect, but has the noise you describe as well. I've heard the other one start up and make the same sound. Both trucks have almost 50K on them with no drama. Just the nature of the beast I think. Sounds like crap but doesn't seem to be hurting anything.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #28
Silvert is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
Silvert's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Tacoma 4 cylinder with 10,000 miles on it and it sometimes gives a very light pop on start up. It may seem to occur when it does not start immediately.
Has anyone spoken to the dealer
Old 05-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #29
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
I had a dual sport bike that would do similiar things....until I rejetted to a richer mix.....all vehicles come from the factory as lean as they can make them(run)...EPA emission standards.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #30
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
No backfire or other popping sound on cold start here.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #33
gofas has a spectacular aura aboutgofas has a spectacular aura aboutgofas has a spectacular aura about

Name: Russell
gofas's Tacoma Gallery
I am experiencing the same.

just bought the 2009 truck with 24k. So far I enjoy running around in it.

The backfire occurs on some cold starts and some afternoons as well leaving work.
I'm gonna try the idle for a few seconds before cutting the ignition off after pulling into work and see if it helps.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #34
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I've never noticed mine doing this. I removed my secondary filter 30k miles ago and I always let the truck idle for about 10 seconds before shutting it down.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #35
cbass8u is on a distinguished road
cbass8u's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 2010 with about 25k on it. Mine does it all the time, and I haven't had any issues with it. It actually sounds kinda badass.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #36
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Remember these are Taco's we are talking about, sure they will pass a bit of gas.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #38
Skunkman has a spectacular aura aboutSkunkman has a spectacular aura about

Army:
Skunkman's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it also, and has the secondary air filter removed. It only does it when the day I park it is warm ( for here ) 70's-80 maybe, and it goes down into the low 30's at night,it will make some type of backfire at the exact time it fires up that morning. It never does it a second time either. I alway's blamed it on some part of the cold start enricher trying to compensate for the 50 degree temp. change from when I parked it till when I started it again. Also we just put new Denso's in it, and I don't remember it ever doing this with the original plugs,but my memory ain't all that good either.