LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2011 2.7l occasional backfire on startup??

Old 05-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
2011 2.7l occasional backfire on startup??

Does anyone experience a backfire on the 2.7l sometimes on startup?? I just bought this truck and it a has under 2,000 mi. Every once in awhile I get a backfire on startup. I came from a 4.0 v6 taco and never experienced this before.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

it's a very slight pop at the exact moment of startup and it usually does this after sitting for 8+ hours (cold).
Old 05-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Sounds rich. It may not even be a backfire though. Get video of it to show the dealer.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Sounds rich. It may not even be a backfire though. Get video of it to show the dealer.
If it IS a "backfire", that would be caused by improper ignition timing, and I would think a code would be set....
Old 05-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If it IS a "backfire", that would be caused by improper ignition timing, and I would think a code would be set....
A rich mixture could cause fuel to build up in the exhaust. It might sound like a back fire when ignited. I bet is isn't anything though.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
A rich mixture could cause fuel to build up in the exhaust. It might sound like a back fire when ignited. I bet is isn't anything though.
Yeah....If an injector is leaking down, or something.....that could cause it.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does.

I haven't done anything about it.

Not sure if it stopped doing it or I just stopped noticing.

I have almost 10k miles on now.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Mine does.

I haven't done anything about it.

Not sure if it stopped doing it or I just stopped noticing.

I have almost 10k miles on now.
Good to know that I am not alone then!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
TacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Sean
TacoVerde's Tacoma Gallery
mine kind of has that sometimes, but i didn't really notice it till i put on the doug thorley catback
Old 05-16-2011, 02:26 AM   #12
ScottyDaug is on a distinguished road
ScottyDaug's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it sometimes as well. 2011 4x2 I4. Just a very slight "pop" on start up. Only after it has sat overnight. Mine has around 1K on it.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:11 AM   #13
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it only sometimes, Seems like its rarely in the morning when sitting overnight, just in the afternoon, starting to leaving from work, 1-2 days a week perhaps.
Its not loud either, just a light pop, not sure if its due to good muffling or just being a fraction of the fuel in a normal backfire. 20k on mine, noticed it for at least 16k.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #14
Tckwarrior is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
Tckwarrior's Tacoma Gallery
Mine did this for 80,000 since it was new, until I sold it
Old 05-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
My 2008 4 cyl does it every now and then. I wonder if this is happening to people who removed the secondary air filter. It happens to me usually on a full cold start after sitting overnight, especially after a longer run of 20+ miles.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
trailertrashman is on a distinguished road
trailertrashman's Tacoma Gallery
Mine 2010 2.7 4x4 did this morning. Bit cool (60's) in Houston. Biggest difference (hurry to get to work) was I did not hesitate for few seconds before trying to start. Usuallly wait 10 or 15 seconds to let computer do its magic and will start quickly (less than 2 seconds). Cranks for about 10 seconds before it caught and then popped.

bobby
Old 05-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #18
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
that means it's talking to you saying i'm ready let's go!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #19
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
that means it's talking to you saying i'm ready let's go!

Either that are you are feeding it c-store burritos.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #20
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
My 2008 4 cyl does it every now and then. I wonder if this is happening to people who removed the secondary air filter. It happens to me usually on a full cold start after sitting overnight, especially after a longer run of 20+ miles.
Nope. I'm completely stock from intake to exhaust tip.