Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

That sound when you start your truck cold..

Old 05-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
That sound when you start your truck cold..

You guys know that sound when you start your truck in the morning for the first time, and you hit the gas and get that loud raspy sound?

Does anyone know of the best way to get this sound with a muffler?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
So what you're saying is you WANT that sound..?

When I got my magnaflow type muffler it did it alot when going down hills but now not so much.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Well Idk how to get that sound. But I can tell you revving a cold engine is bad! You have to let the oil get around everywhere and let it warm up before you rev up.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighTacoma View Post
Well Idk how to get that sound. But I can tell you revving a cold engine is bad! You have to let the oil get around everywhere and let it warm up before you rev up.
2x.

Unless you feel like paying for a ring job.

I don't know if the 4cyl is the same, but the v6 has steel sleeves that can't be bored. If the 4cyl is the same, once the engine block is gone, its gone.

That being said, you might want to be nice to the cylinders. Don't skip on oil changes. Don't let the engine over heat. Don't rev the engine when its cold...

Just my .02
Old 05-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
The computer already revs my engine up to ~2100 rpm's for 5-15 seconds on a cold start, no matter the temperature outside. Dealership says it's normal, even though they tried to prove it by starting a new 2.7L on the lot and it only revved up to 1500 rpms max. My air injection blower runs on every single cold start, thus driving the rpm's high until it shuts off.

The spark plugs are new, air filter is new, throttle body was cleaned, MAF sensor was cleaned, and there are no vacuum leaks.

Hopefully 2100 rpm's on a cold start is not damaging the engine block. I only have 21,000 miles on the truck.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoterragaia View Post
The computer already revs my engine up to ~2100 rpm's for 5-15 seconds on a cold start, no matter the temperature outside. Dealership says it's normal, even though they tried to prove it by starting a new 2.7L on the lot and it only revved up to 1500 rpms max. My air injection blower runs on every single cold start, thus driving the rpm's high until it shuts off.

The spark plugs are new, air filter is new, throttle body was cleaned, MAF sensor was cleaned, and there are no vacuum leaks.

Hopefully 2100 rpm's on a cold start is not damaging the engine block. I only have 21,000 miles on the truck.
Thats different... All engines are designed to do that.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoterragaia View Post

You're fine, mine goes up to around 1800 every time and 170k miles later it runs perfect.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
The 4 cyl revs high when starts on purpose. I think it heats everything up faster that way. I read that in a thread on here somewhere i think.

Also, i don't rev my engine right when i start it haha. I know its bad. But back when i first got it, i did a few times, and the sound is just really cool. Even if i let it warm up a couple minutes, then go down the road, it makes that same sound when you step on it, and its awesome.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
I heard that the high rev on cold start is for emissions reasons -- the higher rpms (and advanced spark?) burn the rich cold fuel mix more efficiently until the metal surfaces get a bit warm then the rpms come down after 20-30 seconds. So yeah it's OK to rev it a little (under 2.5-3k) while driving during warm up, people are just saying don't get on the gas too hard it until it's fully warmed. I live around the corner from an on-ramp that I take every morning and I gently get up to speed going 60mph well before it's anywhere near warm, but I barely break 2k rpm in the process. No problems with this truck whatsoever, 60k miles. I might not feel as comfortable if my first few miles of driving were steep hills.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #13
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Track pipe. Cat delete.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
^^ wtf does that actually happen?
Guy had his foot on the gas. Probably a rental.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Guy had his foot on the gas. Probably a rental.
Exactly. And that is not the sound the OP is talking about.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
Exactly. And that is not the sound the OP is talking about.
It was a funny. IDK anyone sane that revs their engine on cold startup.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
J-rob
beefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J-Rob
beefcake's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It was a funny. IDK anyone sane that revs their engine on cold startup.
oh ok, that would be an issue if it did that on a cold start, thats definately not good for a cold motor....dumbass