Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

List of best 2.7 mods

Old 05-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
List of best 2.7 mods

Just looking to build a little list of the best mods to the 2.7 because most people talk about the 4L. Im starting to build my list and I dont want to make a mistake this time and waste money. Too many opinions out there so lets start a list!
-
-INTAKE : What type? Brand? Filter? Bought at?
-HEADER : style/brand/bought
-Exhaust : Style/brand/bought
-Any electronics? Brand?
- Stock filter replacement?
Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, DT, LC, URD, BORLA, FLOWMASTER, etc
Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Intake: Secondary filter delete, fender resonator delete, AFE pro dry s
Header: I FREAKING LOVE my Doug Thorley
Exhaust: I have a Jardine, feel like I lost some low end but love the sound and after the regear not noticeable.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Header: I FREAKING LOVE my Doug Thorley
Exhaust: I have a Jardine, feel like I lost some low end but love the sound and after the regear not noticeable.
Im thinking the AFE still but I ordered it a month ago and its still not here and im thinking about getting a refund and buying an intake. I think it might give you a bit better gain with the full I/H/E system?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I know a buddy who got the AFE CAI and said he did not feel any difference so idk. Personally that $250 could go somewhere better..

Where did you buy the filter from? I bought from autoanything and got it surprisingly quick. Oh and AFE has a great warranty and customer service. Had a problem with my filter and they took care of me
Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #5

Quote:
I know a buddy who got the AFE CAI and said he did not feel any difference so idk. Personally that $250 could go somewhere better..

Where did you buy the filter from? I bought from autoanything and got it surprisingly quick. Oh and AFE has a great warranty and customer service. Had a problem with my filter and they took care of me
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ven...unlimited.html
Pretty pissed off about it
Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, about all that's noticeable without going FI.

Does your exhaust sound rice?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
Almost there

In the cab no, outside it sounds a little bit ricey but there is only so much you can do with a 4 cylinder. But I do enjoy the sound of it my GF's sister was driving behind us to go wheeling, sisters old BF had a nice looking Jeep wrangler no doors 6" lift with some 35's and all the goodies....she was like why cant you get a sick sounding exhaust like that for the Jeep? I was like... sweet
Old 05-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
In the cab no, outside it sounds a little bit ricey but there is only so much you can do with a 4 cylinder. But I do enjoy the sound of it my GF's sister was driving behind us to go wheeling, sisters old BF had a nice looking Jeep wrangler no doors 6" lift with some 35's and all the goodies....she was like why cant you get a sick sounding exhaust like that for the Jeep? I was like... sweet
did you ever hear a Borla for our motor? A guy local is selling one cheap and Im thinking about it
Old 05-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
Almost there

You I believe will be the first one Jordan. Always saw them on Egay for sale but never bit for some reason.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
LCE header, K&N 63 series CAI, Flowmaster super 44 muffler, URD MAF calibrator

Still wont gain you that much but with 33 tires, my truck is faster then stock (raced a stock one) especially on the top side of the rpms
Amigo you need to get some 4.56 or 4.88...it would make your truck a fucking BEAST!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
LCE header, K&N 63 series CAI, Flowmaster super 44 muffler, URD MAF calibrator

Still wont gain you that much but with 33 tires, my truck is faster then stock (raced a stock one) especially on the top side of the rpms
Looking for a ton of power with bolt ons is never gonna happen really. A bit of power and a bit easier towing is worth it though IMO. More power is usually better mpg too if your not killing the motor for power all the time
Old 05-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #13

Quote:
You I believe will be the first one Jordan. Always saw them on Egay for sale but never bit for some reason.
Its actually for a 4L, but they should be the same fit. The Magnaflow ones are interchangeable
Old 05-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
Almost there

I dont think the cat-backs are the same. From what I have seen (with nothing other than my eyes...no tape measure or anything)...the cat-backs are not the same for the 4 and 6. The 6 goes a lot further back for the mounting for behind the cat converter from what it looked like.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #16
Almost there

Ah well if thats the case then go for it!

Did you ever calculate the gas mileage you were getting? I remember talking in another thread and you did the math based off someone else's fill-up numbers?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #17
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Amigo you need to get some 4.56 or 4.88...it would make your truck a fucking BEAST!
hahaha amigo . . . . thats funny! but yeah man, thats my near plan. Rear and front end assembled with 4.56 and ARB lockers from eastcoastgearsupply very shortly. Thanks to this website and people like you ive learned how much gears can do for a truck, especially since i eventually plan on long travel and 35s
Old 05-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Ah well if thats the case then go for it!

Did you ever calculate the gas mileage you were getting? I remember talking in another thread and you did the math based off someone else's fill-up numbers?
Last fill up I got 26.25mpg (us 3.8gal) hand calculated and scanguage. Mostly because alot of my driving is 60-70 kmh, and thats the sweet spot.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #19
Almost there

Ya I got the ARB installed with the gears. I am planning on getting a set of 315's as a wheeling set and continue using my 255's for DD to get amazing gas mileage then when I need a beast of a tire, throw on the extra set and be good!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #20
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
Last fill up I got 26.25mpg (us 3.8gal) hand calculated and scanguage. Mostly because alot of my driving is 60-70 kmh, and thats the sweet spot.
Cool! Thats great mileage. I am getting 24-25 with all my mods so I cant be happier with the overall package I got!