Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Motor Ticks at Idle?

Old 05-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
jamyota is on a distinguished road
jamyota's Tacoma Gallery
Motor Ticks at Idle?

My 99 tacoma 4banger sounds like its starting to tick at idle... 133K miles and runs pretty solid. Is it a timing issue, or do i need a valve adjustment? I want to take it to the dealer to get looked at if i have to, but Id like some heads up before so i can avoid getting ripped off. Thanks for any help!

JAM
Old 05-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
jamyota's Tacoma Gallery
2.4 motor fyi
Old 05-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on the mileage, you might need a valve adjustment or at least an inspection to see what the gap is. Where is the tick sound coming from? Is it mechanical or tinny or an electrical *snap* ticking sound?
Old 05-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
jamyota's Tacoma Gallery
133k... It sounds mechanical like a tick or knock sound.. its hard to tell because the fan is SO loud and theres rattles and vibrations everywhere. Im not worried about that though its the ticking that makes me worried. I think im just gonna bring it to the dealer and see what they think.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
techtalk is on a distinguished road
techtalk's Tacoma Gallery
It might need valve adjustment. has a good amount of miles on it. The dealers usually don't rip you off. it's the small mom and pop shops that try to fool people at times. There's laws to protect you from dealers ripping you off, but you can always ask the servie advisor to take you to your vehicle once the valve cover is off, and have them show you the clearance on a couple of valves. this was you atleast know that they were checked.