Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.4Ltr horrible mpg

Old 05-28-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
FirstGenTaco is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
FirstGenTaco's Tacoma Gallery
2.4Ltr horrible mpg

I just recently made a purchase on a used first generation '03 Tacoma 2.4liter single cab, manual. It had about 92K miles already on it when I got it, the engine was pretty clean and it runs pretty good. I've only had it for about 3 weeks now, the idle was a bit rough, but nothing to cry home about....
I did the seafoam suck and it spewed some smoke for about 5-7 minutes polluting my neighborhood....afterwards, trucks idle is a lot smoother!

I've noticed though, even before the seafoam cleanse; the truck seriously would eat a quarter of a tank with less than 35 miles - wth!?!

I didn't buy the truck to be a gas saver....like most have said in other threads I've researched under "mpg" - I would've gotten a prius. But man oh man, I didn't know I was getting a V10 mpg wise lol.

the guy who owned it before, must have done all the work himself - the air filter is brand new, oil recently changed, all fluids good....

I haven't checked the plugs or wires or had them changed yet.

the gas cap is secure and tight....when popped, it makes the gas escaping noise which should be a good thing, air in tires is properly inflated and than some....

I checked the maf, to me (maybe I'm looking in the wrong areas or something as I'm not crazy mechanically inclined...) but the maf sensor seems to be pretty clean..(no gunk residue or residue build up anywhere on the sensors or around them, it's pretty clean) - haven't checked the TB screen or cleaned them yet.

What else should I look for other than doing plugs and wires anyway, cleaning maf and tb maybe....????

I have been driving it like a grandma, no hard shifts or anything crazy, just drive it to work and back and literally see the needle drop in front of me - 14 miles in, 14 miles back home; some highway, some traffic along the way..but not enough to literally see the needle drop as much....geezus.

any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Law Enforcement:
uhhh, no one?
Old 05-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Who knows, prob the spark plugs need to be changed
Old 05-30-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
KROM74 is on a distinguished road
KROM74's Tacoma Gallery
Like krimson said check the plugs... you can tell a lot by the condition of them. Also you bought a truck with 92,000 miles on it, and who knows how well it was maintained.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:16 AM   #5
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
have you actually calculated you mpg's?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto932 View Post

I'm pretty sure those Taco's have much smaller gas tanks than the 2nd gens.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto932 View Post
no, just estimating. It shouldn't be that bad though...I'm thinking....

fuel tank capacity says 15.8.

I'll be taking a look at the plugs. thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Without actually calculating the mpg, your guess could be completely wrong.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Without actually calculating the mpg, your guess could be completely wrong.
Could be....it is completely wrong I know something is up, just highway miles to work about 28 miles total, I shouldn't see it drop a quarter of a tank. I've owned 8's and supercharged 6 engines and I really don't expect to see this out of a 4 banger lol.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Racerboy221 will become famous soon enoughRacerboy221 will become famous soon enough

Army: Counter Intelligence at NSA
Name: Bill
Racerboy221's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Racerboy221
Top the truck off and run it for 100 or more miles or even completely down to the bottom.....then top it off again to get a more accurate reading of the MPG. I track every single tank to assure there is nothing wring I might be missing.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerboy221 View Post
Top the truck off and run it for 100 or more miles or even completely down to the bottom.....then top it off again to get a more accurate reading of the MPG. I track every single tank to assure there is nothing wring I might be missing.
good to know. Litchfield...nice, you're right around the corner from me

Okay, so I just took a look at the spark plugs, yeah, I would say it's pretty worn. tip is worn, brownish carbon all over - replacement should help.