Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 cylinder help?

Old 06-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
mkuenzli is on a distinguished road
Name: Max Kuenzli
mkuenzli's Tacoma Gallery
4 cylinder help?

Is there anyway i can make my 4 cylinder alittle more powerful wiithout doing anything big or spending alot of money?
Thanks-
Max Kuenzli
Old 06-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
I <3 the mall
luk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to behold

Name: luke
luk3's Tacoma Gallery
re gear
Old 06-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
An LC engineering header and CAI will help a tiny bit (like 15hp max). Only way you're really going to notice any gains if you go forced induction...
Old 06-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
thanks so much. I will look into re gearing and CAI or a header.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
lead foot and quick shifting
Old 06-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
yes. its a brand new truck i got on monday. it doesnt have anything besides trd exhaust tip.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The stock intake is cold air. An aftermarket one won't do anything. Get an AFE drop in and remove the secondary filter. Exhaust and header and URD MAF will give you a nice bump.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
I'm surprised that you think it's too slow, I have the same truck and I can make it screw as fast as my old 4.0 v6...
Old 06-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkuenzli View Post
yes. its a brand new truck i got on monday. it doesnt have anything besides trd exhaust tip.
well then its gonna be hard to get more power back. Re-gearing is expensive and really only helps to compinsate for running larger tires. It will help your acceleration though if that's what your looking for but most people only regear after running larger tires.

A CAI like Volant may give you 5 hp. A header like Doug thorley or LCE may give you 5-10 hp. A good catback like doug thorley may give you 5 hp max.

It's hard to really gain hp with these 4 cyls.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #11
Its not that i think that its slow i just feel like it need to be alittle louder with alittle more kick to it at like take-off, dont get me wrong i love this truck. It just seems like a 4 cylinder would be slow.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
I'm surprised that you think it's too slow, I have the same truck and I can make it screw as fast as my old 4.0 v6...
OP has a 4x4, completely different.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
I dont even have stock cold air intake thats what i was looking at was the trd one.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #15
braaap

if you're looking for sound and some extra kick, a header and CAI will be perfect. Also look into a muffler.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
if you want a lil more power and better sound, go with what I have. Im running Volant CAI with ram air, DT header and catback exhaust. I'll post some vids in a minute
Okay thanks so much. Is this stuff expensive, or will it do like any damage too the engine too make it not run as long as like a fully stock taco??
Old 06-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #18
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
if you want a lil more power and better sound, go with what I have. Im running Volant CAI with ram air, DT header and catback exhaust. I'll post some vids in a minute
perfect, although I've always heard the LC header was better for the 4 cyl

I know the DT is a great product as well though.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #20
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
perfect, although I've always heard the LC header was better for the 4 cyl

I know the DT is a great product as well though.
i kinda wish i got the LC just because it looks more complicated and looks like it would perform better - the dt looks same as stock almost. But i like my dt and dont know first hand if the LC is better.