Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Old Prerunner / New Prerunner with photos

Old 06-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
Old Prerunner / New Prerunner with photos

Thought I'd give a quick snapshot of the 1999 Prerunner SR5 4 cylinder 2.7 Access Cab and New 2011 Prerunner SR5 4 cylinder 2.7 Double Cab.

The old Prerunner (purchased Oct 1998) had to go away after 150k troublefree miles. I took these pictures the day it went back to Toyota for frame rust. As you can see the body was still rust free and perfectly straight after 11 years. Although was very suprised when frame rust was discovered. I really loved this truck and had no plans of getting rid of it. The body panels held up really well, I did have this truck undercoated as soon as I got it. This vehicle got 21 mpg.

The 2011 Prerunner SR5 Double Cab 2.7 replaced the truck, still pretty new have only got about 1000 miles on it. Had this truck built, factory extras were blue tooth, 16" alloy wheels, bed extender, wind deflector, and all season mats, front D-rings. I did put some factory fog lights in it - (thanks to epa4wd help and great mod tutorial), the only other thing I added was weather tech floor liners. Much quieter ride and a ton more leg room. The seats in this vehicle are way more comfortable. So far the fuel mileage is better than 1999 version! The tires are kinda cheesy but I like them better than the firestone AT's that came on my old truck. The next set will definitely be Yokohama's! The new truck is only a 5' ft bed, didn't want the long bed. Hopefully the bed extender will make up for that. Plan on installing a truxedo lo pro soon. I may have the 4th leaf TSB done, brought it to one dealer and they played dum about the suspension... If the TSB is done, may have to do the Bilstein 5100's on the front (possibly rear too). I have no plans to undercoat since there is factory undercoating. This vehicle is getting about 22 mpg. Here are some pictures of the truck.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
That 1st gen was in really great shape. Hope you get +150K miles out of this one too. Very nice truck! Glad I could help with the fog lights.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:09 AM   #3
Speeeeeeeed
cevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Cesar
cevaes's Tacoma Gallery
I can see that you take realle good care of your vehicles, after 11 years and still looking like that? wow, but on the other hand now you got a better looking and newer one black looks awesome on tacomas sometimes i think why I didnt bought me a black one.

I have never owned any kind of truck before and now that I do im sooo glad I purchased a tacoma I only hear good things about them.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
No "Prerunner" badge on the tailgate?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:20 AM   #5
Porscheguy
Porscheguy is on a distinguished road

Name: Lee
Porscheguy's Tacoma Gallery
I'm considering buying one of these, but gas mileage is my big concern. I've seen your posts in the 4 banger fuel sippin thread and wondered if you're still getting great MPG. Do you have a good sound system in the 2011? I've found a used 2011 Access PreRunner for $21,500 with 4000 miles (owner customer ordered, then traded it for a V6), but I've been afraid to pull the trigger because I think it's economy may be as poor as a V6. The sound system doesn't seem to be that great, either.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck - both of them actually. The new one is nice with the more leg room and more comfortable seats, but I bet you will still miss the old one sometimes. They tend to grow part of you. I can't even think of parting with mine. Bummer about the frame rust. Luckily I am not in the salt belt and my frame is still good.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscheguy View Post
I'm considering buying one of these, but gas mileage is my big concern. I've seen your posts in the 4 banger fuel sippin thread and wondered if you're still getting great MPG. Do you have a good sound system in the 2011? I've found a used 2011 Access PreRunner for $21,500 with 4000 miles (owner customer ordered, then traded it for a V6), but I've been afraid to pull the trigger because I think it's economy may be as poor as a V6. The sound system doesn't seem to be that great, either.
Not sure how this post showed up here..., thought it was originally in 2nd gen? Anyway, I like the 4cyl forum best.

Will try and answer your questions. The truck has got much better mileage than anticipated. The lowest I got in the last six tanks was 25.5 mpg. The lo pro bed cover may have something to do with that (but not sure), I drive the truck 60 miles per day 50% highway / 50% city, I drive 65 mph and don't hammer it.

The fuelly signature below will allow you to see every tank (16 total fill ups so far), you can see the mpg when it was new and what they are today. Have no problem with 500 miles between fill ups.

21,500 is pretty good number, I like the stereo that came in the sr5.

The 2.7 is best thing about vehicle, I don't off road, I don't want big tires and I don't want to tow a travel trailer. I had the 2.7 before so knew what I wanted. The v6 is nice for some but not for me.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
#texasforever
hudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hudson
hudhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
No "Prerunner" badge on the tailgate?
x2
Old 09-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
Nice truck - both of them actually. The new one is nice with the more leg room and more comfortable seats, but I bet you will still miss the old one sometimes. They tend to grow part of you. I can't even think of parting with mine. Bummer about the frame rust. Luckily I am not in the salt belt and my frame is still good.
Yeah you are right, loved my 1999 prerunner!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudhawk View Post
x2
Good eye! Doesn't say Toyota back there either. Must be a nissan
Old 09-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
usualxsuspect has a spectacular aura aboutusualxsuspect has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brian
usualxsuspect's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by litegide24 View Post
Good eye! Doesn't say Toyota back there either. Must be a nissan
fake taco alert! lol
Old 01-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
Traction

I have to add that we had a snowstorm and the newer truck gets better traction (even with smaller tires).

And the ABS worked great, something the '99 didn't have.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
Sheepshead45 is on a distinguished road
Sheepshead45's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscheguy View Post
I have a 2010 access cab prerunner 2.7/manual. I too debated the 6cyl vs. 4 (still do!). From my experience your actual mileage will vary a lot depending on use. All city driving I'll get around 20mpg. On the highway, if I'm going 75mph I will get 22mpg. If I keep it around 60mph my mileage jumps to right around 26mpg. Right now my commute is 45 miles one-way, all on 55mph highway so I get the higher mpg. A 6cyl would cost me a lot more to run (no to mention the higher initial purchase price, etc). But, if I had a shorter city commute or high speed highway the 6 cyl would not make a big difference. A 6cyl auto would also make towing easier, but I have a small boat so no issue there. So, the right choice for you is highly dependant on how you will use the truck, and what you need it to do.

Regarding the sound system, my '10 came with possibly the cheapest speakers you can possibly source on the planet. The rear "speakers" are actually like a napkin with wires - they are in the headliner!! The fronts are feather weight paper crapola speakers, and the tweeters are not really tweeters just tiny paper speakers. The good news is that the head unit is not bad and a new set of moderately priced aftermarket speakers will make a huge difference. Read up in the audio forum for more info.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
how much did they give you for the old truck for the frame rust issue? if you dont mind me asking
Old 02-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty 06 4x4 View Post
how much did they give you for the old truck for the frame rust issue? if you dont mind me asking
$10,750 plus a loaner for a while. In addition, they extended me another $1,000 loyalty rebate if I decided to purchase any other new toyota (which I did). The good thing about that number was that it was very generous for an old Tacoma with 150k miles, the bad thing is they were giving nothing extra for a truck that was immaculate like this one as compared to a beater junk box. The resale on the older Tacoma's always amazed me, my truck was super clean, if it were not for the frame rust it most likely would bring $9k

The other bad part was the truck was soooooooooooo dependable, I had no intentions of selling it, ultimately the trade up cost some dough. But all things considered I'm not complaining. The dealer ordered me the 2011 double cab prerunner SR5 and sold it to me for $400 under invoice.