Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Trouble starting after sitting in heat or refueling

Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
ky02tacoma is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Fire Commander
ky02tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Trouble starting after sitting in heat or refueling

Anyone have issues with starting after refueling vehicle or after the vehicle sits in the sun and heat?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Get your charging system checked. If good, your starter is dying.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
I have, nothting more than a second attempt and it fires up. Are you cranking for a while?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
It depends what you mean by "trouble starting," do you mean slow cranking or noisy cranking or excessive cranking required? My truck needs a few extra cranks to fire after it's all warmed up and sits for a minute in warm weather, but I would not say it's hard starting. In other discussions on this matter, some TW members state it's just because of the ECU programming -- during startup the system will run a series of checks before allowing fuel injection, and it seems like this takes a little longer when it's hot vs cold. But it's not a big problem for me.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
ky02tacoma is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Fire Commander
ky02tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
It does seem to be a fuel issue. Not sure if it pressure or something else. I have had mechanics tell me that there is nothing definitive. I am cranking for a while, but it seems to be in order to drive up the fuel. I have had evap codes and have addressed those. Just not willing to guess at sensors that cost a couple of bills each. Thank you for your help.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well... I jumped the gun. Assumed the starter wasn't turning.

Check your fuel pressure. There's a check ball in the fuel sender that maintains fuel line pressure, but it's usually a time based problem not heat related.
If your spark plugs or distributor(if you have one) is old, this could be the cause.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
What about good old fashioned vapor lock.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
What about good old fashioned vapor lock.
Mmmm... more of a problem for carbs. Not as much for fuel inj.