Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

New taco owner, 2RZ-FE rebuild questions

Old 06-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
RedAce is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
RedAce's Tacoma Gallery
New taco owner, 2RZ-FE rebuild questions

Howdy tacoheads, I'm the proud new owner of a '99 2wd SR5 tacoma in need of some major TLC and I have a few questions for y'all.

Some background: 2RZ-FE motor and auto tranny. Head gasket is assumed blown since its cooking all the coolant out through the exhaust. App. 160k on the odo. Grill is missing and a little bumper damage from low-speed collision. Havent started it to hear it run, and not going to but the former owner drove it a short distance home after he overheated it. I've rebuilt a number of 20 and 22-R & RE motors but never anything this new, so i'm in uncharted waters here.

My questions:

Badges say its an 8/98 truck but the title says '99. Is it a '98 or a '99 and does it make a difference?

Should I go with the Chilton or Haynes book for the motor rebuild?

With 160k miles should I bite the bullet, pull the motor and do rings and bearings or can I get away with just doing the head with the motor still in?

Former owner had a new head gasket and head bolts but couldn't talk any of his friends into doing the work for him (go figure). Do the head bolts need to be replaced every time the head gasket is changed? I know in some motors the bolts stretch and cant be reused.

Finally, I payed $900 for this little gem. Other than the minor front end damage the body and interior are in good condition, paint is scratched but decent and it came with a tonneau cover and air shocks in the rear. Did I get a good deal or am I going to be upside down in this truck before I get it running?

Feel free to just answer one or two of the questions if you don't want to write a book like I did here. Thanks for your help guys!

Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
New taco owner, 2RZ-FE rebuild questions-99taco.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! Being as it was manufactured in August, thats the start of the next model year, so its a "99". As for the engine, pull it out, and do a full rebuild. You can add some performance parts to it (pistons, etc) for a few bucks more, and get a bit more power.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
gbouch63 is on a distinguished road
Name: Gary
gbouch63's Tacoma Gallery
If your getting antifreeze thru the exhaust check and make sure the head isnt cracked before you put a lot of time and $$$$ in it. Good luck with your project