Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Averaging 24MPG after Scangauge!!!!!

Old 06-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
bozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud of
Firefighter: wildland firefighter
bozotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Averaging 24MPG after Scangauge!!!!!

Well I was talking about it for a while, but finally pulled the trigger on a new Scangauge II. I bought it more for the tachometer function(due to my tacoma lacking one), but love all of the features. It really motivated me to drive with a focus on MPG! I'm getting 400 miles on 16.5 gallons, and love it. One thing I noticed is that keeping it below 65 mph goes a long ways. Most of my driving is mixed city driving/rural roads. Anyways just thought I would share the info with all the members who are always stressing about MPGs.
Attached Thumbnails
Averaging 24MPG after Scangauge!!!!!-dsc_0004.jpg  
Old 06-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
FirstGenTaco is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
FirstGenTaco's Tacoma Gallery
That's pretty cool. I have an '03 4 banger, all basic inside, no tachometer either so I shift by sound and speed; the old school way lmfao. how much did the scan gauge II run you? Where did you get it from?

I'm thinking with the extra $$$ I get selling one of my dad's Honda Accords, to go out and get this thing. Would the scan gauge II's fit into the 03 first gen. 4 cylinder tacomas?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
bozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstGenTaco View Post
That's pretty cool. I have an '03 4 banger, all basic inside, no tachometer either so I shift by sound and speed; the old school way lmfao. how much did the scan gauge II run you? Where did you get it from?

I'm thinking with the extra $$$ I get selling one of my dad's Honda Accords, to go out and get this thing. Would the scan gauge II's fit into the 03 first gen. 4 cylinder tacomas?

I picked up on Amazon for $169, kind of pricey but I think its worth it. I was fine too with shifting with sound and feel, but I was always curious to see what my RPM's were doing. A scangauge will fit an 03(mines an 04) installation is a snap and takes all of 30 seconds. Oh yea I should add that I have a 4cylinder.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
thats great! My mileage improved with the SG as well. Im averaging abour 350 miles per tank with my v6 (about 20 mpg).
Old 06-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
I can't say enough good things about the scangauge, accurate tach, accurate speedo, gives error codes that can be canceled, accurate fuel consumption and tons more.

I set the gauge to mpg, intake air temp, gallons per hour, and load.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
That smells like pure gasoline
Erik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a huge increase. I am getting about 20 +/- with my 2010 4L V6 do they make these for 2nd gen? Might not be a bad idea. I am going to be lifting it and get bigger tires so I have been doing small things to try to cancel out the MPG loss.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
They are plug and play for any vehicle with an OBDII port.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Calculate the MPG yourself as well and compare the results to the SG.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:17 AM   #9
That smells like pure gasoline
Erik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik's Tacoma Gallery
Does the SG actually change anything to get better mileage or does it just let you know how you are driving and then you can make your own adjustments?
Old 06-27-2011, 05:21 AM   #10
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
You can view your instant MPG and then adjust your driving habits accordingly.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:37 AM   #11
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Does the SG actually change anything to get better mileage or does it just let you know how you are driving and then you can make your own adjustments?
No it doesn't change anything. IMHO the ultra-gauge is better............and cheaper
Old 06-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #12
The ultragauge may be cheaper and offer more functions however I think it looks like a cheap piece of Chinese crap. The scangauge feels solid and looks pretty stock. Just my two cents.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozotaco View Post
The ultragauge may be cheaper and offer more functions however I think it looks like a cheap piece of Chinese crap. The scangauge feels solid and looks pretty stock. Just my two cents.
Actually none of them look stock at all.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #14
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:

Yeah, I see the "Chinese Crap" there................
Old 06-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #15
Banned
OMG look at that China junk!

I'm sure both are made in China anyway.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #16
Banned
03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
03taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post

Yeah, I see the "Chinese Crap" there................

i dont care about the scan gauge but what is the actual nomenclature for the top picture ?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #17

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03taco View Post
i dont care about the scan gauge but what is the actual nomenclature for the top picture ?
http://ultra-gauge.com/ZC/index.php?...a75cqo7jr3sgt6
Old 06-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #18
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Have had my UltraGauge since Christmas and have nothing but good things to say about it.

The mount even works great. Has not come unstuck once. Readable in any light. Just not a rifoff like Scangauge II
Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #19
Banned
I broke my scangauge yesterday.

IDK what to buy now. I have had both before. I like how fast the SG was but I liked the alarms on the UG.