1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light weight trailer hitch recommendations for 4 cylinder

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by litegide24, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Jun 12, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    litegide24

litegide24 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi, have a 2011 2.7 want to add lightweight trailer hitch.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  2. Jun 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    All I've seen are Class III hitches. My guess is that they all weigh about the same unless you find one that is just a receiver on a plate that mounts to the bumper. I doubt you'll see much difference in mpg just by adding the hitch. MPG while towing something is a different story.

Edit: Here's an example of what I was talking about.
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/step-bumper-hitch-with-8-1/2-bolt-pattern-width/p2012026.jcwx?filterid=c2324d2193y2005j1
    It looks like they're good for only as much weight as the bumper is rated for, so that will definitely limit how much weight you can tow.

3. Jul 2, 2011 at 8:06 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    for about 120 bucks installed, u-haul offers a frame mounted hitch. Actually, there were a couple of options, I went overkill with the frame mounted option (mounts to sides and bottom of frame on each side), but there was "draw tight" option I believe which was rated the same as the one I went with, but it was a lighter style of hitch which only mounted to the bottom of the frame. It was more concealed as well under the truck. The other one just looked more heavy duty for me. Also, for 5 bucks you can get a lifetime warranty from u-haul on the hitch. ;)

4. Jul 2, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    If the page came up, the first one listed is the one I installed on my truck. See how it mounts on the side and bottom of the frame? The second option is the lighter one which mounts to the bottom of the frame only and is a more concealed design. Hope this helps. This site is where I bought the wiring for the trailer, nice harness and just a plug and play deal! I bought and had my hitch installed at my local U-haul, and it was like 120 installed ( $100 for the hitch and $20 for install). Here, the same curt hitch they want 150 for the part only! I could not beat U-haul from the price point. If you buy the $5 hitch life ins., they will replace the hitch if anything happens to it, theft, car accident, etc. for the life of the vehicle. I never buy added coverages, but for $5 it seemed like a no brainer. Good luck

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2009_Toyota_Tacoma.htm

Products Discussed in

To Top