LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Light weight trailer hitch recommendations for 4 cylinder

Old 06-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
Light weight trailer hitch recommendations for 4 cylinder

Hi, have a 2011 2.7 engine Tacoma and want to add a lightweight trailer hitch.

I want an under bumper mount (like hidden hitch or draw tight...) but not planning on towing more than a 4x8 utility trailer.

Want to keep the weight down and mpg up. Does anyone know which hitches (class Ii or III) physically weigh less in comparison?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
All I've seen are Class III hitches. My guess is that they all weigh about the same unless you find one that is just a receiver on a plate that mounts to the bumper. I doubt you'll see much difference in mpg just by adding the hitch. MPG while towing something is a different story.

Edit: Here's an example of what I was talking about.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/step-bumper...24d2193y2005j1
It looks like they're good for only as much weight as the bumper is rated for, so that will definitely limit how much weight you can tow.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
for about 120 bucks installed, u-haul offers a frame mounted hitch. Actually, there were a couple of options, I went overkill with the frame mounted option (mounts to sides and bottom of frame on each side), but there was "draw tight" option I believe which was rated the same as the one I went with, but it was a lighter style of hitch which only mounted to the bottom of the frame. It was more concealed as well under the truck. The other one just looked more heavy duty for me. Also, for 5 bucks you can get a lifetime warranty from u-haul on the hitch.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
If the page came up, the first one listed is the one I installed on my truck. See how it mounts on the side and bottom of the frame? The second option is the lighter one which mounts to the bottom of the frame only and is a more concealed design. Hope this helps. This site is where I bought the wiring for the trailer, nice harness and just a plug and play deal! I bought and had my hitch installed at my local U-haul, and it was like 120 installed ( $100 for the hitch and $20 for install). Here, the same curt hitch they want 150 for the part only! I could not beat U-haul from the price point. If you buy the $5 hitch life ins., they will replace the hitch if anything happens to it, theft, car accident, etc. for the life of the vehicle. I never buy added coverages, but for $5 it seemed like a no brainer. Good luck

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2009_Toyota_Tacoma.htm