Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7L 4x4 City MPG Rating

Old 06-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #21
Mskwared is on a distinguished road
Mskwared's Tacoma Gallery
17 mpg rough estimate on my last tank. 4x4 with 265/70/16 tires. No correction for added circumference. Not running A/C
Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #22
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Driving like an asshole my 5 lug got 28.3 on the last tank. That includes a lot of quick starts, 2nd and 3rd gear pulls, and frequent cruising at 80-90+.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #23
BIGBADJON22 is on a distinguished road

Name: jonathan
BIGBADJON22's Tacoma Gallery
i get 17 with 33" tires and I drive like and ass to work every day about 25 miles one way.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #24
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
ohdrj1all re: Only 17mpg?,

I have a 98 Tacoma x-cab, 2.7L, 5spd, 4x4 and I am only getting 17mpg +/- - you'll probably have better results with newer generation. I drive a mix of about 60/40 City/highway. Truck is all stock, I keep good maint on it (filters/oil/airfilters etc) but could really use some suggestions on improving the mileage.

Any of you-all have some good sugestions for improving mpg on these older pick-ups?

Thanks all!
Jeff - Seattle
That's weird my truck is the same as yours highway I get about 24mpg I leave my tailgate down
And city at least 20 mpg, my highway changes depending on the wind
Try putting your tailgate down when you drive you'll notice less drag
Old 06-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #25
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 Mt, regular cab rated at 18city 20Highway. I have been getting an avg of 24 over the last month.

Some town, some highway. Soft foot and easy shifts around town and under 65 on highway seem to be key.

My numbers were worse when truck was new and we were on the winter gas.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #26
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc98tacoma View Post
That's weird my truck is the same as yours highway I get about 24mpg I leave my tailgate down
And city at least 20 mpg, my highway changes depending on the wind
Try putting your tailgate down when you drive you'll notice less drag
Tailgate down = increased drag.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #27
Silvert is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
Silvert's Tacoma Gallery
gas milage

I get 22 city/rural and 25 highway. I run my tires about 2-3 lbs harder, and avoid idling and /letting it warm up in cold weather.
Jeff
Old 06-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #28
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickout4130 View Post
Everything stock on my 2011 manual trans 4x4 2.7L, averaging about 18.5 combined. Not sure if the "break in" period has anything to do with it. I also drive very conservatively, so hoping that number inches up sooner or later.
My mpg improved at around 10,000, coinsided with switch to summer gas but I think breakin has a lot to do with. I drive pretty soft but, it's a truck and needs to worked every now and then.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #29
Turp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Operations: Fire, Technical Rescue, EMS
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
02 DblCab PreRunner 100,000miles, new plugs, removed the air intake snorkel and installed a K&N (just for kicks), mpg is 18 city; mostly short hops. 20-21 Highway at 65mph. I can't imagine much better and I'll see on my summer trips.

In comparison the mileage is only 1-2mpg city from my wife's 09 CRV. I think the Taco is doing pretty good considering the vehicle weight and truck qualities.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #30
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
Tailgate down = increased drag.
How is that?? It's worked for me I get better milage with it , it works for me
Old 06-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #31
Turp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Operations: Fire, Technical Rescue, EMS
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc98tacoma View Post
How is that?? It's worked for me I get better milage with it , it works for me

According to a test done on Mythbusters which include windtunnel and actual fuel consumption measurements, tailgate up produces less drag than down.
The best result in their testing was removal and using a net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3aqHbD-O9E
Old 06-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #32

hmm maybe ill try the net its only like 20 bucks
Old 06-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #33
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ROB
MartyMcfly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
I call bs.
I was getting 24mpg before lift and 33" tires.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #34
4cyltacoma will become famous soon enough4cyltacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Reagan
4cyltacoma's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=ohdrj1all;3304784]I see lots of threads about 2.7L MPG and it seems most are getting considerably better than the window sticker ratings. When I buy (holding out to see what comes of the 2012s) I will be getting a 2.7L/5spd Access Cab 4x4. This combo is rated in 2011 at 17 city / 22 hwy.

So... is there anybody out there that is actually *only* getting 17 in town? Seems almost everyone that posts here gets over 20 in town.

i get a avergae of 18-19n mpg. wth bigger tires, rims, lift
Old 07-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #35
jayinjax is on a distinguished road
Name: jay
jayinjax's Tacoma Gallery
2.7cyl

I have a 2011 4cyl d-cab and so far the best I've gotten was 21.5,I traded in a 2007 6cyl d-cab and if your used to the v-6 you will miss the power.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #36

How many miles do you have jay? Still being broken in I'm sure
Old 07-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #37
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
1996 extended cab tacoma, and I get about 19... And that's with the occasional lead foot. Running 265/70/16's with flowmaster 40 dumped. I bet I could get 21 if I drove like a granny
Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #38
rbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: ARFF @ ROC
Name: Rich
rbishopp's Tacoma Gallery
I don't recall ever getting 17 mpg or worse. Last tank up was 24.1 mpg. Normally in the 22 to 23 range. I normally drive like my hair is on fire but this last fill up I've been taking it easy to see how good I can actually get being a responsible adult. Which sucks btw.
2009 4cyl 4x4 5spd manual. Use A/C a little when its real hot. Otherwise I have the windows open. Bed covered with a rigid folding cover.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #39

My worse was 18, winter gas, cold, not broken in. Now getting consistant 24.

I think I could squees a few more mpg if I over inflated the tires but like the ride better at 30psi.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #40
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
2007 - 4x4 / 5 speed / 4 cyl / Access Cab - all stock except for AFE Drop In and secondary filter removed. 2/3 hwy and 1/3 in town (on base)...consistently average 22 to 23 MPG, best 23.5 and worst 18.9 (during worst part of winter on Blizzak Studless winter tires). When I think about and try I get 23 MPG...when I don't concentrate on it I get 21.5 to 22 MPG. FWIW....