1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

timing chain

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Big Al 55, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Jun 14, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    Big Al 55

Big Al 55 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    87 Pickup
    6,000 pound warn winch, grille guard, tow hitch, cb radio, after market radio, took out the bucket seats and put in brand new bench seat
    in my 1987 pickup, instead of a timing belt there is a chain. i like chains better because they last longer. the only problem with this timing chain is that it has plastic guides. they have been known to break and the chain could then tear up the engine. i recently bought this truck and the mechanics told me to watch out for the timing chain. nothing is wrong with mine, but i took it to a mechanic to ask how much it would be to replace one. ends up being a 13 hour job that will cost over a grand just in labor. so if you own an 87 and you hear a clanking noise when you start it up, it may be your timing chain and prepare to drop alot of money to get it fixed.

2. Jun 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    Yeah, the engine in my 87 is trashed. The timing gear wore through the valve cover and it blew a head gasket too. I don't recall hearing any clanking noise though before it went...

3. Jun 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    Big Al 55

Big Al 55 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    87 Pickup
    6,000 pound warn winch, grille guard, tow hitch, cb radio, after market radio, took out the bucket seats and put in brand new bench seat
    how many miles did your truck have when it went? an supposedly when the chain breaks it will swing around and clank against other parts. thats what your supposed to listen for when you first start it up.

Products Discussed in

To Top