Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

timing chain

Old 06-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Big Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really nice
Big Al 55's Tacoma Gallery
timing chain

in my 1987 pickup, instead of a timing belt there is a chain. i like chains better because they last longer. the only problem with this timing chain is that it has plastic guides. they have been known to break and the chain could then tear up the engine. i recently bought this truck and the mechanics told me to watch out for the timing chain. nothing is wrong with mine, but i took it to a mechanic to ask how much it would be to replace one. ends up being a 13 hour job that will cost over a grand just in labor. so if you own an 87 and you hear a clanking noise when you start it up, it may be your timing chain and prepare to drop alot of money to get it fixed.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al 55 View Post
in my 1987 pickup, instead of a timing belt there is a chain. i like chains better because they last longer. the only problem with this timing chain is that it has plastic guides. they have been known to break and the chain could then tear up the engine. i recently bought this truck and the mechanics told me to watch out for the timing chain. nothing is wrong with mine, but i took it to a mechanic to ask how much it would be to replace one. ends up being a 13 hour job that will cost over a grand just in labor. so if you own an 87 and you hear a clanking noise when you start it up, it may be your timing chain and prepare to drop alot of money to get it fixed.
Yeah, the engine in my 87 is trashed. The timing gear wore through the valve cover and it blew a head gasket too. I don't recall hearing any clanking noise though before it went...
Old 06-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
Big Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really nice
Big Al 55's Tacoma Gallery
how many miles did your truck have when it went? an supposedly when the chain breaks it will swing around and clank against other parts. thats what your supposed to listen for when you first start it up.