Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Really bad noise coming from my exhaust

Old 06-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
froman09 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
froman09's Tacoma Gallery
Really bad noise coming from my exhaust

So yesterday I noticed this real bad noise coming from my exhaust. It was dark so I couldn't look at it until today and this is what I found....

It only makes the noise when I am going between 20 and 30 MPH and when my RPM's are between 1-2k.. Thoughts?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
what kind of noise, like a rattling?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #3

It's a really sharp rattle. Almost a metal squeaking sound.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Soeting in the muffler is probably loose
Old 06-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by froman09 View Post
It's a really sharp rattle. Almost a metal squeaking sound.
sounds like a bad cat. any check engine light?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Forever at a crossroads
09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mylene
09_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Have you checked your heat shields? Mine is rattling bad right now too, I got underneath the truck this week, tightened up a few things.. didn't get rid of the rattle then started tapping the corners of my heat shields and the one closest to the muffler has a really bad metal rattling sound when I tap the outer corner with my finger.. one way or another it'll be fixed by the end of the weekend.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
sounds like a bad cat. any check engine light?
x2 or muffler bearing
Old 06-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
Blowin by em sideways
xroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ramon
xroller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
x2 or muffler bearing
lol... come on.... this guy may actually go check for that....

Well it's obvious you have an exhaust leak... you may have just crapped your cats or the muffler took a crap on you and everything just loosened up... get a vid if you can...
Old 06-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #10

My check engine light hasn't come on yet, so I don't think it's the cat (which I'm happy about.) I haven't checked the heat sheilds but I may go do that right now :P It probably is the muffler, and yeah it is a flowmaster (which I got very cheap.) Which would lead me to believe the muffler is the source. Haha.