Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 cylinder 2.7 liter DUAL-VVT-i

Old 12-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #41
Lwb053 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Former Nuke Electronics Tech/Reactor Operator (Submarines)
Name: Keith
Lwb053's Tacoma Gallery
I thought for sure that I read that the 2TR was exhaust-side variable cam, but after you posted I went and dug up more info, and sure enough it is intake-variable cam. I stand corrected.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #42
gray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to behold

gray223's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEA86 View Post
yeah i think the 2.7 is a peppy little motor but it for sure gets old having to gear down to go up inclines. I mean its a whole lot better since i got some intake mods but overall its still pretty underpowered
I'm with ya. It seems like every 3 hills on the high way It down shifts. Plus I've been looking at the new 2015 GMC canyon and its 2.5 is speculated to bring 193 hp and 184 ft lbs of torque. I think Toyota needs to step it up.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #43
Scott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to behold
Name: Scott
Scott K's Tacoma Gallery
Revival of thread

Just thought I would revive this thread....anyone know if Toyota has any plans to develop a dual vvti 2.7? I really hope they do and I hope we can see a double cab 4x4 with such an engine....
Old 06-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #44
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USAF Civilian
Name: Jack
Fordless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post
Just thought I would revive this thread....anyone know if Toyota has any plans to develop a dual vvti 2.7? I really hope they do and I hope we can see a double cab 4x4 with such an engine....
I kind of doubt it myself. I think they'll let the 2.7L block die with this Tacoma body style. My guess would be a new smaller displacement 4cyl for the next gen. Maybe around a 2.2 or 2.4L. I'm sure it'll have all the modern fixin's DVVT, maybe valvematic and MAYBE it'll be the variable displacement like the new Lexus RCF. The following article is focused on the tundra but Toyota has already confirmed that they will be introducing these engines in a wide range of vehicles.
http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...ent-v8-tundra/
Old 07-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #45
Nightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Evan
Nightfury's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordless View Post
That all sounds good except the VVT is on the intake cam on the 2TR. Also any other engine with Single VVT will have it on the intake cam. It's REAL OLD tech. As in my 93 VG30DETT Nissan 300zx engine has it and that was the 3rd year of it. It's more basic but it has it.
I wasn't going to comment on an old thread like this, but this particular comment bothered me.

Dual overhead cams, four valves a cylinder, and superchargers have been around since the late 1920's, by Duesenberg engineers.

Does that make it REAL OLD tech? Unlikely.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duesenb...2.80.931927.29

I have seen a Duesenberg Model J in person, pre-restoration, and stared in awe at the inline 8 that sported dual overhead cams, and this funny looking squirrel cage on the side of the engine (the supercharger) able to propel this old, no power steering, no seat belt equipped hunk of metal at speeds exceeding 120 mph back in the late 20's. Really cool. Makes a part of me wish I were alive, and one of the test drivers for these vehicles, during that time.

EDIT: Edited for typo's.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #46
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USAF Civilian
Name: Jack
Fordless's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting no doubt. Even though I was actually talking about VVT. On the Wikipedia article though it said base prices ranged from $13,000-$19,000. So lets assume you have to get the $19,000 version to get the supercharger. A quick inflation calculation of $19,000 in 1928 would equate to roughly $257,000 in 2014 money. You can accomplish a lot when money is no object. I think my reference to the VVT was being on a vehicle that was obtainable by the average man. B/c even the Non-turbo 2nd gen 300zs were equipped with Intake VVT. And they were considered reasonably priced sports cars at the time. I'm sure Rolls Royces' use ridiculously advanced tech on their engines but I won't be going and buying one. But they don't call them Duesies for no reason.