1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cyl 1 & 2 misfire help

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by nikwho, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Jun 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    nikwho

nikwho [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    Ok, My '99 Tacoma with 2.7l/5 speed is misfiring pretty bad at idle. It is also fairly hard to start. quite a few turns before it fires. The misfire seems to clean up with increased engine speed but its pretty damn gutless. I know its a 4 banger, but it can barely pull 4th gear on the fwy with 31" tires. I just bought it. Got a crazy good deal on it and bought it from my brother in law who bought it new. he only drove it about a mile to work each day and it sat a lot when he was deployed multiple times. It threw codes for cyl 1 and cyl 2 misfires. My first thoughts were plugs or wires or possibly a fuel filter. I installed NAPA's premium plug wires and whatever the reccomended plug was. its escaping me at the moment. I also replaced the fuel filter. What a difficult place they put that!!! anyway, no help. Still misfiring pretty badly. I also though maybe the coil packs, but its misfiring on cyl 1 & 2 and the coil packs are 1&4/2&3, so if it was a coil pack problem it seems to me that it would misfire on 1&4 or 2&3, not 1&2. my next thought is cam position sensor, since thats what triggers the ignition. Is this a common occurance? What else could be causing this issue? Are there common problems that these engines have?
    Thanks for any help!
    Nik

2. Jul 30, 2011 at 9:35 PM
    chlebek

chlebek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcin
    Schaumburg IL
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sr5
    Toytec 3 inch Ultimate lift with Bilstein shocks, extra 1" block in the back, Differential Breather Extension, ARE cap, Wheeler's Heavy Duty Steel Wheels 16x8,
    open the radiator cap and see if you got coolant in the radiator and reservor tank, if you dont or its low in radiator than its your head gasket, if coolant level is fine check compression on all the cyl they should be close with in 10 psi

3. Aug 14, 2011 at 3:52 PM
    billwot

billwot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access 4 cyl auto SR5
    Misfire code is what caused me to sell my '03 Frontier and buy a new Taco.

Possibilities include plugs, injectors, low compression, leaky intake manifold gasket, head gasket, and EGR problems. Mine turned out to be crud in the EGR tubes.

It can be a difficult and expensive problem to troubleshoot.

bill

4. Aug 14, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    chriss

chriss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    How did run before? If OK. Then check your work. Remove the plugs and look for issues you could have caused.
    Damaged wires, misthreaded plugs, that kind of stuff.

5. Aug 15, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    This... and it still could be your coils. Inspect them carefully for small grey arc marks, or (in the dark) mist them with water and look for arcs. KEEP YOUR HANDS CLEAR of the coils while doing this!
    Swap injectors on good and bad cylinders and see of the problem moves.
    Do a vac test to check for engine related causes. A leakdown test is also a good idea.

Products Discussed in

To Top