Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Bad fuel pump or circuit opening relay

Old 07-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
George Schenfeld is on a distinguished road
Name: George
George Schenfeld's Tacoma Gallery
Bad fuel pump or circuit opening relay

1995 Tacoma 2.7L will not start. No fuel pump running. EFI relay good. Can't find the circuit opening relay. It is not where the Chilton book says it is, just under the steering column in the cab. I want to check the relay before ordering a fuel pump. Does anybody know where it is?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
I Found It.

Guess what. I found the relay way down the steering column above the brake pedal linkage. It is on the left side of the column, almost on top of it. Fortunately it can be pulled off the mounting bracket for checking.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
ashok1999 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kris
ashok1999's Tacoma Gallery
Well, What was the final outcome? relay? fuel pump?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
Job still in progress

I have come to the conclusion that it is the ECM. I can remove the COR which is wired after the EFI relay and jump the leads from B+ to FP and the pump works. When I try starting the truck in this configuration it won't, even though there is fuel pressure. The COR tests ok using battery voltage and checking resistance with an ohm-meter. The ignition fires when cranking. I have checked voltage and resistance on all the circuits associated with the EFI system and can find nothing else out of spec. I am trying to find an ECM with the proper numbers on ebay and have looked at several sites on the internet. Will post again when I get an ECM installed.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Got her fixed.

The problem was the ECM. All of the relays and fuses connected with the fuel pump and starting circuits tested ok. I put a different ECM in it today and it started right up. Runs fine.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
Founder of NOX
kriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud of

Navy: Naval Flight Officer
Name: Chris
kriskross's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you get your new ECM?
Old 04-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #7
ECM module

I got it online from an auto recycler out Spokane Washington. I don't remember the name. Cost $100 which I thought was cheap compared to $900 from the Toyota dealer. I think most recyclers will guarantee what they send out so go ahead and google a "Toyota ECM" and you should find pages of them available. One word of caution is to make sure you have the part number off of the old unit as each engine and transmission configuration can/may require a different module. My Toyota hasn't missed a beat since replacing the ECM. Good Luck