Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

1984 tacoma 22r surging

Old 07-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
johnnyjack1 is on a distinguished road
Name: jack
johnnyjack1's Tacoma Gallery
1984 tacoma 22r surging

Hi everybody, I am new here, on vacation using an android device ( viewsonic 10 inch ) and cant use search on it. Don't know why. So if this posted, sorry I cant search. The truck surges at any speed and every grear. So, if I am in second, holding speed at 15mph, the truck speed will drop and speed back up about every second or second and a half. There is also a loss of power at any speed, ( not good in a 4 banger ) I am looking for a vacuum leak now but I don't really think that is the cause. I am thinking it is a carb problem. Any help by you guys would help. Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
petyanca is on a distinguished road
petyanca's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjack1 View Post
Hi everybody, I am new here, on vacation using an android device ( viewsonic 10 inch ) and cant use search on it. Don't know why. So if this posted, sorry I cant search. The truck surges at any speed and every grear. So, if I am in second, holding speed at 15mph, the truck speed will drop and speed back up about every second or second and a half. There is also a loss of power at any speed, ( not good in a 4 banger ) I am looking for a vacuum leak now but I don't really think that is the cause. I am thinking it is a carb problem. Any help by you guys would help. Thanks
I doubt there is a carburetor, rather fuel injector, and I would use a bottle of injector cleaner in your next tank and see if it solves it.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Hi Petyanca, it does have a carb. And I put carb cleaner in the tant and used carb cleaner on the carb. I cant find any vacuum leaks.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
efi came in toyotas in 85 iirc, as mentions check for vac leaks, then check to see if anything is restrictin air fuel or spark
Old 07-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
KBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (DD-214), 3d Marine Division
Name: Kurt
KBToyota's Tacoma Gallery
Check the egr mske sure it holds vacum.
Probabaly doesnt have a TPS does it? That is a common problem on the 22RE
Old 07-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Also check for leaks in the intake system (intake manifold/intake tube/etc)
Old 07-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
Collins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to behold
Collins's Tacoma Gallery
Could be the rubber diaphragm in the carb.
They dry rot and will not keep proper pressure...so the engine
will run rough.

Buy a carb rebuild kit and the rubber diaphragm is included...

pretty easy to replace.

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
petyanca is on a distinguished road
petyanca's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by petyanca View Post
Hi Petyanca, it does have a carb. And I put carb cleaner in the tant and used carb cleaner on the carb. I cant find any vacuum leaks.
oops sorry I thought you were talking about truck in your profile.
Yeah i think a rebuild kit should help, and may be clean all the passages with carb cleaner.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Thanks guys, I am in the Oregon hills and don't have internet. I found a leak under the carb, so i made a gasket and it runs somewhat better. The serge now is fast just like if you were tapping the gas petal, but only under a slow load. I think I will rebuild the carb next. Thanks again.