Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

More power for going up hill with a 2.7

Old 07-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
shovel is on a distinguished road
shovel's Tacoma Gallery
More power for going up hill with a 2.7

Are there any mods that will help? When i hit the big hills in my 2.7 I have to down shift. It was loaded with a sh*t load of camping gear and 4 adults though.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You can try a AFE drop in and secondary filter delete for cheap. Other mods include a header and exhaust but nothing short of a supercharger will give you a big jump.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
ohdrj1all will become famous soon enoughohdrj1all will become famous soon enough

ohdrj1all's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I don't understand why a person would be surprised (or care) that they have to downshift when climbing a big hill... that is just normal. Many vehicles with larger engines (and automatic transmissions) do so too. It's totally normal to do so... you are asking the engine (any engine) to work harder when climbing a hill... when you do that you have to give it more gear do to maintain speed... don't worry about it... just downshift when you are supposed to. It's like complaining that you have to give it more gas when climbing a hill.

Now if you just want more power because you want more power... that is fine... but the fact that you have to downshift climbing a big hill is not necessarily indicative of lack of power of the 2.7L I4... as I said above... that is just normal for most any engine/transmission combo.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Headers provide the best bang for your buck for the 2.7 hands down. But you'll still probably have to downshift as ohdrj1all said...unless you're going 60+ MPH up the hill.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrj1all View Post
I guess I don't understand why a person would be surprised (or care) that they have to downshift when climbing a big hill... that is just normal. Many vehicles with larger engines (and automatic transmissions) do so too. It's totally normal to do so... you are asking the engine (any engine) to work harder when climbing a hill... when you do that you have to give it more gear do to maintain speed... don't worry about it... just downshift when you are supposed to. It's like complaining that you have to give it more gas when climbing a hill.

Now if you just want more power because you want more power... that is fine... but the fact that you have to downshift climbing a big hill is not necessarily indicative of lack of power of the 2.7L I4... as I said above... that is just normal for most any engine/transmission combo.
I could not agree more. Good post.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Try riding a bike up even a slight incline and you'll be scrambling for the shifter to downshift real quick you don't have the torque in a 4 to pull a hill with the ease you seem to be expecting, HOWEVER that is a beautiful engine for what it is, and a hard worker too. Your truck is still 4000 lbs empty which is pretty heavy. With people and gear, I say your truck does fine.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
As others have said, downshift . I do it In anticipation of every oncoming hill and she climbs like a friggin koala bear up a Eucalypts tree. Nothing that an automatic transmission doesn't already do.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 2.7L, and even myself being a big fan of the 2.7L, I knew people would complain with the power of the Double Cab, 4 cyl offered this year. If your not into speed and power, two couples or 4 adults could cruise around with no problems, but if the same two couples or adults loaded up for a weekend out of town, with personal gear for 4, that alone will begin to challange the truck's limits. Then, add toys, etc. and your probably dogging it up inclines for sure. Does this sound about right? My truck (AC Cab) empty has no issues with inclines, but loaded up with gear I am down shifting for sure...
Old 07-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombiology70 View Post
Sorry for the Hi-jack but my question is somewhat related

I've recently acquired an automatic 2.7l 2011 Tacoma and want to know if it is okay to bump the shifter over to third when going up a hill on the freeway??? I've always had manuals so this is new to me???
Yes but you have an automatic transmission so it will automatically downshift as you apply more throttle and the angle of the truck changes.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Thanks- Just seems like the engine really dogs down before shifting so didn't want to f%$k it up...
Don't be afraid to use the throttle.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
I bring the feel goods w/a heavy load of sarcasm
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrj1all View Post

this is America, what do you expect. we want to be able to do more with less, haven't you seen the budget situation?

but none the less i agree with you
Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
11Taco2.7 has a spectacular aura about11Taco2.7 has a spectacular aura about
11Taco2.7's Tacoma Gallery
Downshifting is easiest way if you dont do any modifications, or while you are waiting to do them. Ive noticed my 2.7 doesnt always downshift by pushing harder on the gas, and Sometimes I dont feel like waiting for it to shift. Whenever I am on the freeway if I need some quick passing power I push it over the third, or if I am going up a hill in like city streets or residential areas I pop back into second.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #15
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry for the Hi-jack but my question is somewhat related

I've recently acquired an automatic 2.7l 2011 Tacoma and want to know if it is okay to bump the shifter over to third when going up a hill on the freeway??? I've always had manuals so this is new to me???
As mentioned, the auto will shift itself when needed, but if your about to go up a nice incline, just switch off the overdrive prior to the incline...
Old 07-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #16
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
You could install the URD Supercharger System.

G
Old 07-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #17
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ROB
MartyMcfly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post

G

Does this mean they're ready to ship out?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #18
ohdrj1all will become famous soon enoughohdrj1all will become famous soon enough

ohdrj1all's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
this is America, what do you expect. we want to be able to do more with less, haven't you seen the budget situation?

but none the less i agree with you
Touche'!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #19
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post

G
From what I have heard, this is your best bet for power without killing your mileage. I'm sure it's also $$. But you'd be hard pressed to spend less money for the same power gains.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #20
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
lower gears
This is gonna be the cheapest way to make a noticeable difference on hills, but it's gonna cost you gas mileage on the flats.

I don't hear you complaining about speed up these hills, just that you have to downshift.

I personally would accept it as the nature of the beast and leave it alone.

My 09 5 lug Regular Cab 2.7 5 speed requires 3rd gear and 4400 RPM to climb a 7% grade at 70 MPH with 1,000lbs in the back. It's noisy, but the truck does not seem to mind it. It's smooth, doesn't overheat, doesn't sound like it's going to come apart. It's a 4 cyl, it has barely enough power to get the job done and that power only comes at high rpm.