Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

rain vs rwd

Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
SupremeDeluxe is on a distinguished road
Army:
SupremeDeluxe's Tacoma Gallery
rain vs rwd

I'm still learning the ins and outs of my Tacoma that I got last September. When it snowed, I pretty much left my truck alone until the snow was gone. My truck is a 4 cyl, 4x2 drive access cab prerunner and it was scary driving in snow conditions.

My question is, does anybody have trouble driving in the rain with a rwd truck? I know that most of the weight is in the front of the vehicle and should be distributed more evenly in the rear, but my thoughts were that I could still fish tail and lose control in the rain. My tires have decent amount of thread in them but I drive more cautiously when the roads are wet. Just wondering if I should worry about rain at all. I do love the youtube videos of Tacomas going through deep puddles of water though.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You should be fine in rain. Just slow down.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Rain is a non-issue. I don't change my driving habits because of rain.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
Not to be an ass but that is how you end up upside down in a ditch. Ok maybe I'm being a bit of an ass but I see it every time it rains here. Guy goes 80 in the rain because he thinks his truck is invincible then down the way a bit there is traffic because the same dude hydroplaned into the center divider. Slow down. It isn't hard to do.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
patwrik is on a distinguished road
patwrik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe View Post
My tires have decent amount of thread in them but I drive more cautiously when the roads are wet.
That it...Just drive more cautiously when wet, especially during the first hour of it starting...

As for snow...I usually pop a few sand bags in my bed to help with load distribution...
Old 07-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Not to be an ass but that is how you end up upside down in a ditch. Ok maybe I'm being a bit of an ass but I see it every time it rains here. Guy goes 80 in the rain because he thinks his truck is invincible then down the way a bit there is traffic because the same dude hydroplaned into the center divider. Slow down. It isn't hard to do.
Been driving trucks in the rain for many years...never spun out. Then again, I don't drive like an ass most of the time...I drive for MPG's.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've spun mine in the rain... but it was somewhat intentional

And for some reason my insurance is double what my moms is??
Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
hell yeah i gun that bitch around corners in the rain

jk no thats bad dont do that...just be reasonable with wet conditions and you will be goodski
Old 07-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Good tires and cautious driving is all you can do in the rain. If you're not overdriving the conditions, you will not spin out or fishtail.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
What about my Member???
NaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NaYoung's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
I've spun mine in the rain... but it was somewhat intentional

And for some reason my insurance is double what my moms is??
She probably gets the Sandwich and Kitchen discount like my wife
Old 07-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Drive within your abilities and appropriately for the conditions.

Mario Andretti said "if you are not almost out of control you aren't going fast enough".

I figure if I go out of control, miss a turn, or fish out the back end I was gong to fast!

I put 240# of sand in back in winter and hardly ever used 4x4.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That seems to be typical for Californians. A torrential down pour in California leads to death on the highway.

Your typical climate will dictate your driving habits. I assume it rains somewhat in Virginia. Just remember the rear is lighter and will act differently compared to a front drive car. Just take it easy and don't drive like a maniac.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Rain? Non issue. Don't be a douche and you'll be fine.

Get some Michelin LTX M/S and you'll never worry about rain ever again. Wet traction is 99% of dry traction with those tires, I swear.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
That seems to be typical for Californians. A torrential down pour in California leads to death on the highway.
Unfortunately you are right. Too many stupid drivers here and the numbers grow. Too many people that are too awesome to use a turn signal and too many that can't merge.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #15
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Its when it first starts to rain on a hot highway, that when folks have issues.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #16
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post

The OP has an '05 and you have a '10... BIG difference in stability and traction between the 2 (I had an '05 and now have a '10).

The '05 is open differential (unless being a Prerunner he locked his rear) so one tire will spin if it has less traction than the other. Accelerating on a turn the '05 rear end will spin out, and require counter-steering to straighten up... (turn wheels right to go left, as in 'Cars').

The '10 has TRAC, AUTO LSD and VSC so the free spinning of one tire is reduced, transferring drive power to the traction tire so you move ahead. Accelerating from a stop or sudden steering changes on wet roads is greatly imprioved with VSC and the truck drives as if the 4WD was engaged as it doesn't spin-out-of-control.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
The OP has an '05 and you have a '10... BIG difference in stability and traction between the 2 (I had an '05 and now have a '10).

The '05 is open differential (unless being a Prerunner he locked his rear) so one tire will spin if it has less traction than the other. Accelerating on a turn the '05 rear end will spin out, and require counter-steering to straighten up... (turn wheels right to go left, as in 'Cars').

The '10 has TRAC, AUTO LSD and VSC so the free spinning of one tire is reduced, transferring drive power to the traction tire so you move ahead. Accelerating from a stop or sudden steering changes on wet roads is greatly imprioved with VSC and the truck drives as if the 4WD was engaged as it doesn't spin-out-of-control.
Nice thread revival!

Like Andrew said, rain is a non issue... you don't need driving aids in the rain, you need to lighten up on the skinny pedal and you'll be fine.