Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

trd supercharger question?

Old 07-12-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
SargeSlapnuts's Tacoma Gallery
trd supercharger question?

well ling story short i came across a good deal on a supercharger for my 2.7 prerunner. i was curious if installing this kit would compromise the reliability of the truck. also what kind of hit should i expect to take gas mileage wise. i get 18 around town now and 23 on the highway.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
otter is on a distinguished road

Name: Rob
otter's Tacoma Gallery
Forced induction is always harder on an engine, particularly on one not originally designed for it. Many people can go for years without an issue on an aftermarket low-pressure turbo/SC setup but I would recommend planning for the unexpected.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I ran the Alpine unit on my 2000 2.7 for a long time all the while beatigng the poop out of it. I never had an issue and at 110,000 miles, the top end was still within new engine specs. I got about 20.5 mpg all the time.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I ran the Alpine unit on my 2000 2.7 for a long time all the while beatigng the poop out of it. I never had an issue and at 110,000 miles, the top end was still within new engine specs. I got about 20.5 mpg all the time.
wait did your gas milage go up because of the s/c kit? or is that just the milage you got?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
TRD made a blower for the 4 banger trucks?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeSlapnuts View Post
wait did your gas milage go up because of the s/c kit? or is that just the milage you got?
I was getting about 20 to 22 without the SC.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
I see that LCE makes a blower for the 4 bangers but there is no TRD brand blower.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #9

To add, I was running over 6 psi, with no mods, or 5th injector. You can modify the FMU to increase fuel delivery as boost comes on with a simple "T" fitting, and running the vacuum lines accordingly.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I see that LCE makes a blower for the 4 bangers but there is no TRD brand blower.
Actually, Alpine made them, but Toyota put "TRD" on certain units, along with a smaller pully for less boost.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Actually, Alpine made them, but Toyota put "TRD" on certain units, along with a smaller pully for less boost.
Oh. I never knew there was ever such thing as a TRD 4 banger blower for the Taco.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Oh. I never knew there was ever such thing as a TRD 4 banger blower for the Taco.
Alpine made 3 types for testing. One used a 65" blower unit, and ran 8 psi boost, but required the use of a head spacer (included), another ran a 45" blower unit, and the last one was a 65" blower running 6 + psi (the one I ran). NUKE (from TTORA) ran the 65" with the decompressed head, and I ran the non decompressed head, and someone else got the "TRD" unit....
Old 07-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
Quote:
To add, I was running over 6 psi, with no mods, or 5th injector. You can modify the FMU to increase fuel delivery as boost comes on with a simple "T" fitting, and running the vacuum lines accordingly.
huh thats cool. so if im getting 18mpgs i should expect to get prolly only 16-17 on low boost. im gonna have to keep in touch with you about this setup cause im still considering installing it. did your kit come with any ecu chips or anything or can the ecu adjust enough to accomodate the s/c and fuel flow?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
Quote:
Alpine made 3 types for testing. One used a 65" blower unit, and ran 8 psi boost, but required the use of a head spacer (included), another ran a 45" blower unit, and the last one was a 65" blower running 6 + psi (the one I ran). NUKE (from TTORA) ran the 65" with the decompressed head, and I ran the non decompressed head, and someone else got the "TRD" unit....
what is the difference between the unit length in unit and how do i tell cause im going to look at it today and the guy has no idea what it is so im assuming its either a alpine or lce. anyh ways to tell?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #15

Quote:
huh thats cool. so if im getting 18mpgs i should expect to get prolly only 16-17 on low boost. im gonna have to keep in touch with you about this setup cause im still considering installing it. did your kit come with any ecu chips or anything or can the ecu adjust enough to accomodate the s/c and fuel flow?
You might get better mpg. 16 would be pretty low, and the only time I ever got that was when off roading.

Quote:
what is the difference between the unit length in unit and how do i tell cause im going to look at it today and the guy has no idea what it is so im assuming its either a alpine or lce. anyh ways to tell?
I cant remember the size, and I never compared it to other units, as it was new at the time, and no one had it.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #16
ssmskot is on a distinguished road

ssmskot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I cant remember the size, and I never compared it to other units, as it was new at the time, and no one had it.
I think he meant when you referred to it as a 65" blower unit and 45" unit? I'm curious as well actually. Don't know much about them.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #17
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
Your MPG shouldn't change much if your driving habits stay the same.
The loss will come because it's fun to step on the pedal more.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmskot View Post
I think he meant when you referred to it as a 65" blower unit and 45" unit? I'm curious as well actually. Don't know much about them.
The type of blower used is called a "posative displacement", or "root" type blower. They are sized in Cubic Inches of impeller displacement.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #19
ssmskot is on a distinguished road

ssmskot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The type of blower used is called a "posative displacement", or "root" type blower. They are sized in Cubic Inches of impeller displacement.
Ah ok gotcha. Thanks, that clears it up.