1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Normal or Not?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by little red, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Jul 12, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    little red

little red [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central GA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    I have noticed my 2.7L when changing to second gear (no matter how long I keep it in first gear) rattles for a second. It sounds like it would if you were to slow down and try to speed back up but forget to down shift. It may be normal but just wanted to know if anyone else has noticed theirs sounding like this.

2. Jul 12, 2011 at 9:53 PM
    makinhole

makinhole New Member

Member:
    I had a motor on an old chevy Luv that sounded like you were shuffling a deck of cards at a certain rpm, my prediction was right that it was not wise to take it very far from home. She lasted for about 4 more days and then it popped. As for your truck, I have no idea, but if something were wrong I think you would know it.

3. Jul 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    what is ur highest rpm when shifting? - too low may cause that. Or it may be a driveline vibe of which some tacos experience at certain speeds. Does it do it when you're coasting at that speed?

4. Jul 13, 2011 at 2:52 AM
    little red

Member:
    Central GA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    I haven't paid attention to the rpms but I can wind it up pretty far before shifting and I still here the rattle. Like I said it almost sounds like it would if you were in high gear and slow down to a crawl and forget to downshift then step on the gas only to lug the engine down and make it rattle. I'll note the rpm this morning on the way to work.

Thanks

5. Jul 13, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    little red

Member:
    Central GA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    well the sweet spot seems to be around 2500 rpm. anything less and I get the rattle from the engine lugging I guess.

6. Jul 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    that may just be it. I dont really know tho

7. Jul 13, 2011 at 6:25 PM
    ssmskot

ssmskot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '07 Base 4x4
    Soft Tonneau. Tint. Toyota bed mat. K&N Air Intake. 265/75/16 BFG AT's. Sport grille. Weathertechs.
    Yeah that sounds about right. These trucks seem like 2nd should be geared slightly lower.

If your at a roll to the point where you can't get it in 1st, 2nd gear will still lug a bit until you get up around 2000-2500 rpms. Takes a little getting used to.

But if your getting a rattling noise + the lugging, I would just keep an eye (or an ear?) on it to make sure it doesn't get worse.

8. Jul 17, 2011 at 2:00 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    double clutch 1 to 2nd

9. Jul 20, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    double clutch?

your joking right?

if i'm not mistaken on this i don't think that these trucks are designed to be double clutched ever! first off there is no need for it. second like i said the trans in any tacoma was and is not designed to be double clutched.

if i'm wrong please correct me but, i would never double clutch my truck. i think that the 4 banger could have benefited from a taller gear ratio that much i do agree with.

10. Jul 20, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    the 2.7 is a great little motor but, i would never confuse it with what i would call a refined engine.

the 4 cylinder in a honda civic si for instance or the 4 cylinder in a mazda 3 are some examples of what i would call a refined 4 banger.

it's a truck. there is going to be alot of engine noise even when you don't think there should be. mine if i'm understanding you correctly makes this noise as well.

i heard chris 4x4 say before in another post that the did not bother engineer the noise out of it in order to keep cost's down.

Products Discussed in

To Top