Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Normal or Not?

Old 07-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
little red will become famous soon enough

little red's Tacoma Gallery
Question Normal or Not?

I have noticed my 2.7L when changing to second gear (no matter how long I keep it in first gear) rattles for a second. It sounds like it would if you were to slow down and try to speed back up but forget to down shift. It may be normal but just wanted to know if anyone else has noticed theirs sounding like this.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
makinhole is on a distinguished road
makinhole's Tacoma Gallery
I had a motor on an old chevy Luv that sounded like you were shuffling a deck of cards at a certain rpm, my prediction was right that it was not wise to take it very far from home. She lasted for about 4 more days and then it popped. As for your truck, I have no idea, but if something were wrong I think you would know it.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:52 AM   #4

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
what is ur highest rpm when shifting? - too low may cause that. Or it may be a driveline vibe of which some tacos experience at certain speeds. Does it do it when you're coasting at that speed?
I haven't paid attention to the rpms but I can wind it up pretty far before shifting and I still here the rattle. Like I said it almost sounds like it would if you were in high gear and slow down to a crawl and forget to downshift then step on the gas only to lug the engine down and make it rattle. I'll note the rpm this morning on the way to work.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #5

well the sweet spot seems to be around 2500 rpm. anything less and I get the rattle from the engine lugging I guess.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
ssmskot is on a distinguished road

ssmskot's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah that sounds about right. These trucks seem like 2nd should be geared slightly lower.

If your at a roll to the point where you can't get it in 1st, 2nd gear will still lug a bit until you get up around 2000-2500 rpms. Takes a little getting used to.

But if your getting a rattling noise + the lugging, I would just keep an eye (or an ear?) on it to make sure it doesn't get worse.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
double clutch?

your joking right?

if i'm not mistaken on this i don't think that these trucks are designed to be double clutched ever! first off there is no need for it. second like i said the trans in any tacoma was and is not designed to be double clutched.

if i'm wrong please correct me but, i would never double clutch my truck. i think that the 4 banger could have benefited from a taller gear ratio that much i do agree with.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
the 2.7 is a great little motor but, i would never confuse it with what i would call a refined engine.

the 4 cylinder in a honda civic si for instance or the 4 cylinder in a mazda 3 are some examples of what i would call a refined 4 banger.

it's a truck. there is going to be alot of engine noise even when you don't think there should be. mine if i'm understanding you correctly makes this noise as well.

i heard chris 4x4 say before in another post that the did not bother engineer the noise out of it in order to keep cost's down.