Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7 Break in questions?????

Old 07-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
11Taco2.7 has a spectacular aura about11Taco2.7 has a spectacular aura about
11Taco2.7's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 Break in questions?????

Hi all, I recently aquired a 2011 Tacoma 4X2 regular cab with the 2.7 liter 4 cylinder. Ive been pretty kind to it thusfar. As of now it has 600 miles on it. Up until today I had not had it at WOT, i had to step on it a few times when merging but other than that i havent winded it past 3000 rpm much. Today for the first time I got on a straight road (with nobody else on it) and from a 45 mph roll floored it up to 85mph. I am just wondering if this one hard acceleration run at only 600 miles will hurt my engine.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
You actually did it a big favor. The best way to break in a new engine is find a long moderately steep grade. put you gear selector in 3rd, no overdrive, give it about 3/4 throttle up the grade. Do that 8 to 10 times and your motor is broke in. The rings love some pressure on them as they wear in. Avoid full throttle for about 2 or 3K miles.

Welcome to Tacoma World.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I put a new transmission in my truck, the first thing I did was go to the parking lot down the street from my house and did this

Old 07-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Engines break in within the first few minutes of running. Your engine will be just fine.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
First of all Welcome, Secondly you will be just fine. I ran my truck a little high on the RPM's for break in (manual). It won't hurt it at all!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
wingspar will become famous soon enough

wingspar's Tacoma Gallery
My father was anal about breaking in new cars, but that was back in the 50's and 60's. I should be closing the deal tomorrow on my first ever brand new vehicle at the age of 65. It will be a 2011 Tacoma Access Cab SR5 4x4. I was wondering about this subject earlier. I will have at least 80 miles on the highway to get home from the dealer. From reading this thread, it sounds like Iím safe as long as I donít floor it (I donít drive like that anyway) and keep the RPMís below 3k, which should also be no problem for me, the engine should be fine?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Taco2.7 View Post
Hi all, I recently aquired a 2011 Tacoma 4X2 regular cab with the 2.7 liter 4 cylinder. Ive been pretty kind to it thusfar. As of now it has 600 miles on it. Up until today I had not had it at WOT, i had to step on it a few times when merging but other than that i havent winded it past 3000 rpm much. Today for the first time I got on a straight road (with nobody else on it) and from a 45 mph roll floored it up to 85mph. I am just wondering if this one hard acceleration run at only 600 miles will hurt my engine.

Heheheh, no man your good, back in the day whenever you rebuilt a Toyota it was Standard Manufacturers Recommendation to start it up & go thru the gears WFO !!(wide fucking open) to hard seat the rings on a new motor..
Old 07-15-2011, 01:40 AM   #8
Go home Nubbs, street lights are off!
pancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to behold
Name: Pancho
pancho's Tacoma Gallery
yea my dad told me the same thing with 500 miles. Funny thing is he got a brand new BMW and started flooring it with 20 miles on it. I live on top of a hill so its sorta a step slope and have no problem on it. I only floored it once and that was to avoid a jerk on the phone driving in his VW Bug
Old 07-15-2011, 06:37 AM   #9
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
My father was anal about breaking in new cars, but that was back in the 50's and 60's. I should be closing the deal tomorrow on my first ever brand new vehicle at the age of 65. It will be a 2011 Tacoma Access Cab SR5 4x4. I was wondering about this subject earlier. I will have at least 80 miles on the highway to get home from the dealer. From reading this thread, it sounds like Iím safe as long as I donít floor it (I donít drive like that anyway) and keep the RPMís below 3k, which should also be no problem for me, the engine should be fine?
Drive it like you normally would. Make sure you load the engine (i.e. acceleration on the on ramp.) I have also heard that it is not recommended to use the Cruise Control on fresh engines.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
For the record, with 99% of new engines the rings seat a few seconds up to a minute . & there is absolutely no mechanical reason that a properly built/rebuilt engine cannot go from a first start to full throttle within seconds. I get how some feel that a gentle break in & not to go over 3k
is needed, but this simply isn't true..
Old 07-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #12

Thanks for the feedback. Iím sure Iíll get some info on breaking in the engine from the dealer.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
11Taco2.7 has a spectacular aura about11Taco2.7 has a spectacular aura about
11Taco2.7's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everybody, the general message I am getting is that break in's are a little overated, but I shouldnt been going WOT all day.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #14

Well, till I just now saw this thread, I hadnít thought about asking the dealer about engine break in since I posted here last night. Itís pretty easy to get her up to 3,000 RPM, so Iíll have to watch it close for a while.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #15
Taquito401 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Taquito401's Tacoma Gallery
Thought Id add my 2 cents...I think the difference in our modern motors is mostly tighter tolerances,they still have basically the same core components as always. Pistons and rings like to get seated. Ive always taken it easy at least till first oil change,no wot,and dont keep the rpms or speed constant for too long. Longer and longer rides incrementally...drive 30 mins,let her cool...next time drive 45..so on. After 500- 600 miles when your oil should be changed anyway,shes broken in. My opinion of course