1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need some answersa about timing chains

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Big Al 55, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Jul 19, 2011 at 9:25 AM
    Big Al 55

Big Al 55 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    87 Pickup
    6,000 pound warn winch, grille guard, tow hitch, cb radio, after market radio, took out the bucket seats and put in brand new bench seat
    i drive an 87 pickup with the 22 re engine. everyone has told me to listen for the timing chain when i first start it up. will you hear the clanking just when you start it or will you only hear it when you accelorate? :confused:

2. Jul 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    Hard

Hard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    H
    Vehicle:
    4X4X4
    This really isnt the place to ask, this forum is for the 3rz and 2tr-fe....but anyways.....

If your chain is stretched a little and your guides are wearing out you will hear a little slapping on start-up. If you hear the slapping during running the guides have broken and you need to replace the chain/guides/timing cover immediately. I have also heard that you can get the chain slapp on start-up from using aftermarket filters that do not have the anti-backflow device and so loose oil pressure going to the oil pump and chain tensioner, which keeps tension on the chain. If you loose tension on the chain it will slapp until you regain oil pressure and the chain will be quiet. The slapping can also cause the guides to break prematurely. This problem is well known and documented throughout the web, a quick search will find everyones opinion on the 22re/22r timing chain problems.

Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top