Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

need some answersa about timing chains

Old 07-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
Big Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really nice
Big Al 55's Tacoma Gallery
need some answersa about timing chains

i drive an 87 pickup with the 22 re engine. everyone has told me to listen for the timing chain when i first start it up. will you hear the clanking just when you start it or will you only hear it when you accelorate?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Hard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: H
Hard's Tacoma Gallery
This really isnt the place to ask, this forum is for the 3rz and 2tr-fe....but anyways.....

If your chain is stretched a little and your guides are wearing out you will hear a little slapping on start-up. If you hear the slapping during running the guides have broken and you need to replace the chain/guides/timing cover immediately. I have also heard that you can get the chain slapp on start-up from using aftermarket filters that do not have the anti-backflow device and so loose oil pressure going to the oil pump and chain tensioner, which keeps tension on the chain. If you loose tension on the chain it will slapp until you regain oil pressure and the chain will be quiet. The slapping can also cause the guides to break prematurely. This problem is well known and documented throughout the web, a quick search will find everyones opinion on the 22re/22r timing chain problems.

Good luck.