Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

5speed sounding like diesel :(

Old 07-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
5speed sounding like diesel :(

Every time I get out of truck when its fully warmed up in AZ summer heat, around 110F, the transmission sounds like a diesel truck at idle
Old 07-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
indeed there are. in the one thread it takes about a certain brand of gear oil. i cant remember off the top of my head. but i recently used that in my transmission. it did actually quiet the noise down a bit.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it with the A/C on only. Push the clutch in and it stops. Nobody knows why, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. I think it sounds kinda cool. I've even had people ask if it was a diesel.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #6
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like shit to me!

my mother is the most unobservant people i have ever had the displeasure of meeting lol.
even she noticed it she hopped out of the truck last week and said whats wrong with your truck it sounds like shit! and guess what it does...

the sound is what i would describe as a clatter it's def exacerbated with the ac on but is some how linked to the clutch as well. now i have heard chris 4x4 speak to the fact toyota did not spend time or money in designing a quite engine alot of nvh will get through. this just seems excessive to me.

also every car drips a little condensation when parked after running the ac but, the taco seems to leave small puddles of water lol more so than any other vehicle i have ever seen.

the fluids are all good and nothing is actually wrong the air blows ice cubes but, sounds terrible and tries making tributaries to the delaware river every time i park her lol.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:41 AM   #7
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
if i remember correctly from the other threads, i believe one person actually had their tranny replaced under warranty. the problem was still there even with the new tranny.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does that too. It isn't the motor, it isn't the AC. It is throw out bearing noise. If it was either of the other 2 things it wouldn't stop when you push the clutch pedal in. It is not a gear box oil issue either. The throw out bearing isn't bathed in oil and sound is same before and after putting fresh 75-90w in as is called for in the 5 speed.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:57 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone ever gone with an aftermarket clutch kit?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:59 AM   #10
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Has anyone ever gone with an aftermarket clutch kit?
Not yet and not until it isn't free from the dealer for another 36k miles..................
Old 07-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
I think the easiest fix would be LCE header and aftermarket muffler...
If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one around, does it make a sound?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
wow! i actually can't believe its a common noise in the 4 cylinders. the truck is 6 years old
why would toyota not fix this issue?

either way thanks guy's i was actually starting to really worry. their are times it is def louder than others but, constantly sounds terrible imho.

there is a tsb for the V6 for a throw out bearing noise i would at least think that they would be aware of the problem and have a fix for it. correct me if i'm wrong but, this is the 2nd gens 6th model year right?