1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibrating Noise from the engine... Leak??

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by boostfed, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Jul 21, 2011 at 2:29 AM
    boostfed

boostfed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    STOCK!
    Hi everyone,

so i've been trying to diagnose a problem with my 1st gen 2.4L taco for some time now. its a clicking noise that only happens on start up when the truck is warm, it wont happen on first start ups in the morning. it sounds like an exhaust leak/vibrating/rattling noise coming somewhere from the intake manifold area.

I've replaced all exhaust gaskets and exhaust manifold gasket and have ruled out the exhaust system including the cat. Does anyone know what this can be? theres an EGR tube running from the pass side cat to the intake mani and its not that either, but it maybe something attached to the intake manifold.

Once the car has been driving after a warm start, it'll go away. but if i turn the car off, let it cool for maybe 4 - 5 minutes or more, start it again it'll make this horrible loud clicking / vibrating again.

anyone have any idea of what it can be? i thought it would have to do something with the exhaust system since it may seal up when it heats up again but its nothing in the exhaust, if anyone has any insight or has ran into this problem before please let me know! thanks for the help in advance!

2. Jul 21, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    EVAP purge valve? :notsure: My wife's Honda made some pretty loud clicking/rattling sounds until I replaced it. It's not detrimental to the engine or anything when it gets to that point, just annoying.

3. Jul 21, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    boostfed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    STOCK!
    hmm interesting, did it have the same symptoms? i wonder where that would be on a 2.4 1st gen. Thanks very much for the help though, i'll check it out and report back in!!

would this be the culprit?

evappurge_8e87a998dad45372d05c7911818d41c8c5d4179a.jpg

4. Jul 22, 2011 at 12:14 AM
    boostfed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    STOCK!
    so i did the mod and it turned out to not be the vsv/purge valve.

i took a quick video , you can hear the leak throughout the whole video (sounds like a rattling/vibration) , and if i were to start driving the sound would go away, even at idle it'll stay away until i turn the car off, let it cool and then start it again.

th_IMG_0064_fc2b1458a79b07b928204a39738f63108aa94fcf.jpg

5. Jul 23, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    boostfed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    STOCK!
    anyone have any ideas?

6. Jul 24, 2011 at 3:29 AM
    boostfed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    STOCK!
    so i had a friend of mine come by and check out the issue for me, he said that it sounded very similar to an old problem he had with a loose timing chain/ tensioner where the belt was slapping against the casing, has anyone run into this?

from the nature of it, it does sound like it would make sense but i'm not completely convinced, the timing chain has been replaced within the past year or so, so its not too old , but can anyone confirm this?

7. Jul 26, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    boostfed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    STOCK!
    pretty sure the timing chain is the problem. Here's the link in hope to help anyone in the future :

http://www.brian894x4.com/timingchain.html

I purchased the parts from www.engnbldr.com , they have oem or higher quality products and i've seen great reviews for them, cant wait to tackle the job , haha! i'll check back again.

Products Discussed in

To Top