Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

power loss with ac

Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Yota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yota1's Tacoma Gallery
power loss with ac

So this little 4 banger seems to lose more power than any other ride i have had with the ac on, especially if on MAX.

From a stop, it feels as if i am half throttle and shes is just over 1200 rpm, and sounds like she is under a huge load. At any speed in any gear if you give try and accelerate she feels like i am trying to climb the largest hill in a gear to high.

Its like the motor wont gain any rpms fast enough, as if the peddle response is super slow.

I am due for my 15k which will be my last dealer service anyways, so i might have them check it out, just wondering if anyone else notices this issue.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
o5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant future
Name: Tim
o5iiawah's Tacoma Gallery
Your freebie dealer services should go until 25k. That should be part of the national toyotacare program.

i live in FL and hot is a way of life... most vehicles will have impacted performance with the AC on. Have you tried running the blower on halfway with the cooling on 3/4 cold? I find its just as cold and the truck seems to run happier.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
You read my mind, I was going to post the same thing, I have noticed a huge loss of power with the AC on "Max". if the AC is off, the power is great. I'm glad that I'm not alone here.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Along with the mechanical drag from the compressor, the higher fan speeds, and the current to hold the AC clutch engauged, can create a bit of a loss. Add to this the less amount of O2 in the hotter air, and you can have a significantly reduced feeling of power, when compared to driving with the AC off, and in cooler ambient temps.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Along with the mechanical drag from the compressor, the higher fan speeds, and the current to hold the AC clutch engauged, can create a bit of a loss. Add to this the less amount of O2 in the hotter air, and you can have a significantly reduced feeling of power, when compared to driving with the AC off, and in cooler ambient temps.
Ah, thanks chris, I used to have the 4.0L Tacoma and i barely noticed a loss when the AC was on "Max". Any tips or mods to inrease power while still being able to run the AC??
Old 07-22-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
I don't look at it that way at all OP.

I drive with the AC on all year long. When I'm flooring it, I flip the AC off and it's just like hitting a NOS switch!

When that AC gets flipped off, hold on man cause it will throw you back into the seat.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
I have seriously considered connecting an A/C cutoff switch triggered by the manifold vacuum level (we have no throttle-plate access with throttle-by-wire). I would like the A/C to just cut off at 90% or more throttle and turn back on as soon as I lift. Many cars already have this, not sure why Toyota elected not to, especially on the 4-cylinder...
Old 07-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Toy View Post
I have seriously considered connecting an A/C cutoff switch triggered by the manifold vacuum level (we have no throttle-plate access with throttle-by-wire). I would like the A/C to just cut off at 90% or more throttle and turn back on as soon as I lift. Many cars already have this, not sure why Toyota elected not to, especially on the 4-cylinder...
It already does under WOT.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
Yota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yota1's Tacoma Gallery
at least my gas mileage is decent, even if i can beat and old man on a bike off the line from a red light. in all seriousness i am no newbie to the parasitic loss of ac, just i have never had it this bad.

time for a tundra i thinks......... actually i am considering it anyways
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Normal as far as I can tell.
Not too worried about a little loss of power as most any car can take off faster than me anyways,

I rarely put fan on full (I try to keep a little in reserve 'just in case').

Old AC units used to get stinky if you didn't air out for the last few mile with ac off. I still do that by habit.

The manual says to make sure recirculate is off if you have been running ac then park. That makes sense, let the air circulate in the ducts.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
andy2003 will become famous soon enough

Name: Andy
andy2003's Tacoma Gallery
Average for all vehicles the ac unit can use up to 11hp.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
billwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to behold
billwot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
It already does under WOT.
Correct.The ECU disengages the compressor clutch under WOT conditions.

bill
Old 08-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #16
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
you also have to realize your driving a 4 cylinder. most 4 cylinders will have this affect with a/c on. 6 cylinder guys hardly feel the loses due to having more power avaiable from the get go. we have very little to start with so any loses will be very noticable.

curious if an electric vs clutch driven fan would help any with the overall lag?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
LDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LDurchy's Tacoma Gallery
Consider too, here in Iowa a hot day can also be a humid day. Internal combustion engines don't perform as well with humid air to burn. Of course, a 4 popper has less in reserve anyway as previously stated by other members. So when you want the cold the most, it is also most taxing on your whole system.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
airlandsea is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
airlandsea's Tacoma Gallery
power loss and lights dim when just turning on fan

2013 4 cyl. I have significant power loss when not only turning on the A/C but also when I just turn the fan to high without A/C. I realize that with any vehicle especially a 4 cyl. you will notice loss of gumption when turning on A/C but I do not think that I should see lights dim and feel significant decrease in power when just turning on fan for defrost or fresh air.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #19
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by airlandsea View Post
2013 4 cyl. I have significant power loss when not only turning on the A/C but also when I just turn the fan to high without A/C. I realize that with any vehicle especially a 4 cyl. you will notice loss of gumption when turning on A/C but I do not think that I should see lights dim and feel significant decrease in power when just turning on fan for defrost or fresh air.
You need to take your truck in for service. You may have a short somewhere. That could equal a fire hazard.