Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Synthetic oil in 2.7L?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
Synthetic oil in 2.7L?

I've put 17,500 miles on the taco in the past 7 months when I bought it for work. It had 113xxx when i picked it up and now has 130xxx.

Anyway, I've been running Quaker state 530 and I have no idea what the hell kind of oil it is. My question is, with the amount of mileage I drive and put on the taco, should I switch to synthetic? Keep what im using?
Old 07-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You will be fine if you switch.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
I guess my question is, would it be more beneficial and better for my motor to run synthetic?
Old 07-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Synthetic oil is better oil but also more expensive. The advantage with synthetic oil is when you run at a high RPM, primarily racing, the heat does not affect it as it does mineral oil. You can certainly go either way but for normal driving your good with regular oil. Use what the factory recommends which normally is 5w30 and change the oil and filter as the manufacture suggest (usually 3000-5000 miles) and you are good for another 130000+miles or more. I have a friend who runs synthetic oil in his two mustangs and he says he can tell by the temp gauge when the oil change shop puts regular oil in. The cars run hotter. He says they've done it a couple of times and he goes back and they correct it.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
PegLeg2.7 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
PegLeg2.7's Tacoma Gallery
Synthetic is more expensive initially but when you consider that you can go 3x as long between changes and the MPG gain you will see (from 17.5 to 19 mpg for me) I would say synthetic saves you money. Also if you live in a cold region synthetic is better because it does not turn to pancake syrup at 30 deg like dino oil does.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
You will be fine if you switch.
x2

Mobile 1 Full Synthetic
Old 07-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
the cost is about the same either way. the oil is twice is much but you change it half as often for synthetic.
The real question is how often do you really think you are able to get around to changing the oil? If your weekends are always free and you like doing the work yourself then doing a 5K dino run is fine. If you can't get around to it that often then switch and do the change every 10K.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think I could get compfortable doing oil changes at 10,000 miles! Even with Synth. But the idea of it turning easier in the winter sounds nice.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
Slowly succumbing to the mod bug...
FoggyDesigns is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
FoggyDesigns's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember after you switch to synth, u cant switch back
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDaTugBoat View Post
I don't think I could get compfortable doing oil changes at 10,000 miles! Even with Synth. But the idea of it turning easier in the winter sounds nice.
Factory oil change intervals remain the same if your run synthetic oil or dyno. I do not see why all these guys out there think they can double the oil change interval because they run synthetics. I can see going longer then factory intervals if needed at times, and not being too worried, but not double or 5000 miles extra. For typical, day to day driving, with no additional work load, ie towing, hauling, etc. dyno oil will be fine for most drivers who change their oil & filter between 3-5000 miles.
Racing applications, hard driving, excessive work loads will raise oil temps typically, putting stress on the engine oil and likey shortening the oil life. For "Maximum protection against thermal breakdown", using synthetics while driving under extreme conditions should give you greater protection while running the motor hard.

I currently run dyno in the engine, and do an oil & filter change every 3-4000 miles, using good quality oil and filters. No extreme conditions for me thus far. The factory recommends changing the oil every 3000 miles under extreme conditions. So, Toyota has determined it seems that we will be fine running dyno oil, changed every 5000 miles or 6 months, under normal use, but under extreme use, every 3000 miles. They appear to be adjusting to the faster breakdown period oil will go thru running your engine hard.

I guess my point is, there is no reason to pay higher prices to run synthetics unless you...
  • just want the best for the motor, and overkill is your style.
  • looking for minor gas savings over the long run. If this is your main reason, my guess you will never make it up for the higher price you pay for the oil. But this will be an added benefit if you run synthetics over the long run and for other reasons.
  • work you truck under extreme conditions, and want to get 5000 miles of good protection between intervals and not be forced to change at 3000 miles because your running dyno oil.
  • Have always used dyno, changed every 3000 miles and I want to change your carbon footprint, and use less oil in life. Going to synthetics will give me the security to change my oil every 5000 miles, and with minor gas savings as well.
Enough rambling- that's my take on synthetics...
Old 07-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
billwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to behold
billwot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyDesigns View Post
Just remember after you switch to synth, u cant switch back
That's a myth.

bill
Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
billwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to behold
billwot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecoyote View Post
There may be some truth to that, and it relates to the oil seals. As I hear it, something about synthetic oils (could be old-time synthetic oils....) causes the seals to swell a bit. Switching back, they return to original and allow some seepage. This could be due to extra wear on the seals when they are swollen, or could be due to reshaping on contraction. It also may no longer be applicable.

In any case, the new spec for the 2TR-FE engine is for 0w20 synthetic oil. I believe the *old* spec was for 5w20 dyno?
"Myth #4 - Once you start using synthetic motor oil you cannot go back to conventional oil.
Synthetic and conventional engine oils can't be mixed, or else they react and cause engine problems.
Fact: As long as the synthetic motor oil product and conventional motor oil product meet the viscosity and performance requirements outlined in the vehicle’s owner’s manual, you may interchange them with each other.

Myth #5 - Synthetic oil causes engine leaks. Synthetic motor oils eat gasket material and cause engines to leak. Synthetic motor oils affect engine seals and result in excessive oil leakage. Synthetic oil can’t be used on high-mileage engines. Synthetic and synthetic blend motor oils cannot be used in older or high-mileage vehicles.
Fact: Synthetic oils do not cause engine oil leaks. Deteriorated and hardened seals and gasket material cause engine oil leaks. If the seals are already leaking with conventional motor oil, they will leak with synthetic oil. If the seals are in good condition, synthetic oils may be used in high-mileage engines."
http://www.texlube.com/oilmyths.htm
Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
JEA86 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
JEA86's Tacoma Gallery
i use wal-mart supertech oil and i like it alot, some people hate on it because its "wal-mart" brand but it does get for me and i get 26 MPG in my 4x4 4cly tacoma
Old 09-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #15
Paulie is on a distinguished road
Name: Paulie
Paulie's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil has a 25,000 mile 12 month oil change interval. I change my oil once/year. Amsoil 0w-30 will make your engine run very smooth.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #16
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
I've always gone 10 grand or better with synthetic. It is better for the environment, too.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #17
RedToy88 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Josh
RedToy88's Tacoma Gallery
I use GTX high mileage and change it between 3 and 5 thou. Never had a problem and u cant go wrong because its part syn and part conventional.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #18
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Dino every 3,000 miles at the Express Lube.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #19
He said "member"...
crainholio will become famous soon enough
Army: Tanker
crainholio's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil-1 High Mileage 5W-30 here, in the handy 5 quart Wal-Mart jug. Extra zinc & phosphorous anti-wear additives which the 2.7L probably likes at the overhead cam lobe wear areas. Current API specs really cut the zinc/phos concentrations and the older flat-tappet cam guys are learning expensive lessons on the need for these.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #20
Paulie is on a distinguished road
Name: Paulie
Paulie's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil 0w-30. The engine will run better w/ more power, and it has a one year 25k change interval.

Products Discussed in this Thread