1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4cyl road trip review

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Turp, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Jul 22, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    Turp

Turp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    K&N panel/ snorkel removed Keyless
    Since the 4cyl capability and power comes up from time to time, I thought I offer this experience. I'm not presenting the 4cyl is as capable as the V6, but I am presenting what my particular experience was.

99% of the time my truck is in the city on short runs with 1 day of lawn maintenance hauling a 2,000 lb load. It does that great.

This past week, I decided to use it for a beach trip. The truck was "loaded".
    I basically hauled a bed full of luggage and 2 bicycles, and another bike on the roof in a Yakima Raptor. 300 miles of the trip two-way were with 4 persons through the I40 and hwy 70 in North Carolina.

Much of the time the posted speed limit was 65 and 70 on flat or low rolling hills. I traveled with traffic speed. The engine tac'd between 2500 and 2750 with a "few" 5K revs to negotiate traffic.

The truck did fine. It held highway speeds very well and I think I only had to push it once in the trip. Accelleration was the biggest thing but, even without reving the engine heavily, I managed not to impede traffic. Sure there were some cars off the line faster but I got up to speed respectably.

The mpg was somewhat hit by the factors. I eeked out 19mpg.

I have made this trip with a lighter loaded 01 v6 4Runner which purred through it and averaged about 20mpg, but I have to say considering the load, the 4cyl did well enough for me to take it again. I hauled a load of stuff.

2. Jul 22, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    ontarioyota

ontarioyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    @scott777taco INSTAGRAM
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2001 Reg Cab 4x4
    Blacked out badges-rims OME lift with 881's & dakar pacs, summer tires=BFG 31x10.5x15 on 93 4runner rims,winter= 265 75 16 DURATRACS on stock steelies,Flowmaster exhaust, deck plate mod, ARB front bumper
    Great description of the 4-bangers ability on a long haul with a load!
    Thanks

3. Jul 22, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    I don't know if this is relevant since I have a gen2 2.7L Tacoma but damn, this truck surprises the he'll outta me. it is more than capable when I put It to work and coming from the 4.0L V6 Tacoma, I can vouch that this truck is totally underestimated by many on it's abilities plus, the MPG is awesome. It serves it's purpose Well!

4. Jul 23, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    Turp

Turp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    K&N panel/ snorkel removed Keyless
    The mpg I had on this trip is not representative of what I normally get. around town it's 18 and on a 80 mile round trip before the one described, I got 22mpg. But the speeds were in the 55-60 range.

5. Jul 25, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    TheMrGExperience

TheMrGExperience Because Tacos are too mainstream...and Im poor.

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Slidell, LA
    Vehicle:
    01 GMC Sierra z85 4x4 4.8L RCLB
    Debadged, 4x6 to 6x9 rear speaker conversion
    my highway record with the wind to my back and with the cruise control on 55 was 28.6MPG and thats in the PreRunner not a 5 lug!

Products Discussed in

To Top