Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4cyl road trip review

Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Turp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Operations: Fire, Technical Rescue, EMS
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
4cyl road trip review

Since the 4cyl capability and power comes up from time to time, I thought I offer this experience. I'm not presenting the 4cyl is as capable as the V6, but I am presenting what my particular experience was.

99% of the time my truck is in the city on short runs with 1 day of lawn maintenance hauling a 2,000 lb load. It does that great.

This past week, I decided to use it for a beach trip. The truck was "loaded".
I basically hauled a bed full of luggage and 2 bicycles, and another bike on the roof in a Yakima Raptor. 300 miles of the trip two-way were with 4 persons through the I40 and hwy 70 in North Carolina.

Much of the time the posted speed limit was 65 and 70 on flat or low rolling hills. I traveled with traffic speed. The engine tac'd between 2500 and 2750 with a "few" 5K revs to negotiate traffic.

The truck did fine. It held highway speeds very well and I think I only had to push it once in the trip. Accelleration was the biggest thing but, even without reving the engine heavily, I managed not to impede traffic. Sure there were some cars off the line faster but I got up to speed respectably.

The mpg was somewhat hit by the factors. I eeked out 19mpg.

I have made this trip with a lighter loaded 01 v6 4Runner which purred through it and averaged about 20mpg, but I have to say considering the load, the 4cyl did well enough for me to take it again. I hauled a load of stuff.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

ontarioyota's Tacoma Gallery
Great description of the 4-bangers ability on a long haul with a load!
Thanks
Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if this is relevant since I have a gen2 2.7L Tacoma but damn, this truck surprises the he'll outta me. it is more than capable when I put It to work and coming from the 4.0L V6 Tacoma, I can vouch that this truck is totally underestimated by many on it's abilities plus, the MPG is awesome. It serves it's purpose Well!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Turp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Operations: Fire, Technical Rescue, EMS
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
The mpg I had on this trip is not representative of what I normally get. around town it's 18 and on a 80 mile round trip before the one described, I got 22mpg. But the speeds were in the 55-60 range.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
Because Tacos are too mainstream...and Im poor.
TheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
TheMrGExperience's Tacoma Gallery
my highway record with the wind to my back and with the cruise control on 55 was 28.6MPG and thats in the PreRunner not a 5 lug!