Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Is there a better-than-OEM throw out bearing available?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a better-than-OEM throw out bearing available?

I know there's a lot of threads about our crap clutches and crap TOB's but I'm really sick of my slipping, clattering, clunky clutch and I can't seem to find any aftermarket TOB's for us 2TR guys. I'm going to be replacing everything short of the flywheel and I'd rather not throw a junk TOB (that may or may not last another 40k miles) back in it if possible.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, mine just hit 44k and it drives, feels, and sounds like shit. The clutch slips pretty bad, makes a ton of rattling noises, shifts really clunky (particularly with the A/C on) and sometimes I'll even have to step on the clutch multiple times to get it to start. It's amazing to me how crappy the clutches (and associated parts) are in these trucks considering how top-notch everything else is. My last 5-speed truck (a Dakota) put down almost 400 ft-lbs of torque through the stock clutch for 105,000 miles before it died, and I beat the shit out of that thing on a daily basis.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
By loud are you referring to the "diesel" noise at idle with the clutch out or does yours make noise as you're driving? Mine does the "diesel" thing and rattles a bit while accelerating (almost sounds like it's running on bad gas). Also, I get this high-pitched, intermittent "hum" which becomes more of a "grinding" sound that comes from the trans tunnel when I'm decelerating in 4th or 5th gear from 75-55 MPH. It, too, gets worse as the truck heats up. I'd take a video, but it's extremely hard to hear it over my fart can.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
i thought the TOB issues was only for the 6 SPD M/T guys ? I am at 6K and no issues yet!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Have you looked into seeing if the URD TOB kit would work on your 5 speed?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
They're for the 4.0/6-speed trucks only.
Who did you verify that with?

Easy way to verify is put a 5 Speed TO bearing next to a 6 speed one..if input shaft diameter is same..it'll work.

Why don't you have a spacer machined out like the URD sells for your 5 speed? If your transmission is designed similar with the same problem..

and I never even heard of the 5speed 05+ having TO problems
Old 07-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
Who did you verify that with?

Easy way to verify is put a 5 Speed TO bearing next to a 6 speed one..if input shaft diameter is same..it'll work.

Why don't you have a spacer machined out like the URD sells for your 5 speed? If your transmission is designed similar with the same problem..

and I never even heard of the 5speed 05+ having TO problems
I don't know how you never heard of them having problems, I know 6 guys on here who have either replaced them multiple times or are about to. I got the info from URD, who said they fit the 6-speed only. And I don't have a 5-speed TOB laying around to compare to a 6-speed TOB. I might be able to stop at my dealer to compare the two parts sometime this week.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I got the same problem, TOB was shit. Sounded horrible and was embarrassing
Old 07-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
I'll eat all your food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
I don't know how you never heard of them having problems, I know 6 guys on here who have either replaced them multiple times or are about to. I got the info from URD, who said they fit the 6-speed only. And I don't have a 5-speed TOB laying around to compare to a 6-speed TOB. I might be able to stop at my dealer to compare the two parts sometime this week.
I only follow the 6 speed problems because my father has an X-Runner.

I don't really follow 2nd Gen trucks in general..they are pieces. In my opinion.
but I won't start that war.

I'm just trying to help you out man, and good idea on stopping in at the dealer...

If they are different, like I said..you might be able to machine a sleeve or have a sleeve machined..if you could somehow get ahold of a input shaft from one of the 5 speeds to give to machine shop.
That's if the 5 speeds have the same problem wise as the 6 speeds..where the side load of bearing shifts..causing the abnormal wear(which is what happens to the TO bearings and then they go becauseof that)

It'd be a good R&D project for you 5 speed guys if you have the time and funds...
Old 07-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #14
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
mine sounds off when the ac compressor is cycled on and the truck is in neutral with my foot of the clutch. so sitting in my drive way if i start her up and turn the air on the noise starts and it gets significantly louder as the truck reaches operating temp. press the foot in on the clutch and it stops foot off the noise just commences once again.

that sounds like a t/o bearing to me.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
mine sounds off when the ac compressor is cycled on and the truck is in neutral with my foot of the clutch. so sitting in my drive way if i start her up and turn the air on the noise starts and it gets significantly louder as the truck reaches operating temp. press the foot in on the clutch and it stops foot off the noise just commences once again.

that sounds like a t/o bearing to me.
It does. Yours is still under warranty, I'd make them fix it. Mine, unfortunately, is not under warranty.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #16
white96850turbo is on a distinguished road
white96850turbo's Tacoma Gallery
have you guys tried Sachs clutch kit / TO bearing? Sachs clutch kits are OEM on bmw and porsches... It can't be any worse than stock (from what it sounds like) unless they are the OEM supplyer for toyota.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #18
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
i did a write up on replacing the stock clutch with a Centerforce Duel-Friction clutch and i bought an aftermarket TOB with it and i will personally 100% say that the TOB is what makes that horrible sound!! As soon as i put the new one in its completely gone! If i crank my truck and turn the AC on, i hear tha compressor turn on with no "diesel" sound, if i listen real close i can hear a sound change when i push in the clutch but otherwise i dont notice it! Def replace your TOB and tha "diesel" sound will go away
Old 08-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #20
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd.

Products Discussed in this Thread