Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Deep sounding exhaust

Old 07-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
96 toy taco is on a distinguished road

96 toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
Deep sounding exhaust

I want a good deep sounding exhaust for my 2.7. Any suggestions?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Nick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Comm
Nick701's Tacoma Gallery
Flowmaster and a bigger motor
Old 07-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
not much you can do with the 2.7
Old 07-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
mount speakers under the truck and play sound clips of corvettes.
hahahahahaha
Old 07-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
jblair is on a distinguished road

jblair's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx586 View Post
mount speakers under the truck and play sound clips of corvettes.
hahahahahaha
....I'll let you know when it's done
Old 07-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
magnaflow sounds good on the 4 bangers.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #10
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
these 4 bangers are louder than the v6. Check out my build thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Lm1...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ak05...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx8po...layer_embedded

come and take a ride, it sounds way better in person.

That last clip kinda sounds like me when I'm driving to Cabelas via HWY80. Drop it in 3rd and keep it on redline, though mine is not as loud as that. If I took out the short glasspack I have and just used the Magnaflow, it would be louder than that clip.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 PM   #11
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
That last clip kinda sounds like me when I'm driving to Cabelas via HWY80. Drop it in 3rd and keep it on redline, though mine is not as loud as that. If I took out the short glasspack I have and just used the Magnaflow, it would be louder than that clip.
ya magna flow is the next best sounding imo. i thought the glasspack wouldve been louder but i dunno
Old 07-24-2011, 02:20 AM   #12
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I put a 13" Wicked Flow on my 08 2.7. A few clips if you follow the link my sig. I enjoy it.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #15
YotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FMC 25th BSB
Name: Brian
YotaMan2007's Tacoma Gallery
I love how loud my tacoma is. it definitely turns heads as i pass people.

http://youtu.be/u8zDxZAaJTQ

http://youtu.be/OGMHZjz0dv0
Old 10-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #16
saltwater taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaltwater taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaltwater taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaltwater taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaltwater taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaltwater taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaltwater taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaltwater taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaltwater taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaltwater taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaltwater taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
saltwater taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LStotler View Post
I had the same motor on my 98 tacoma. Flowmaster 40 series sounds really nice had it on there for 4 yrs. Loved it
x2
That's what I have now. I love it, very unique. The "v8" sound is played out IMO. Too common and boring. I might switch to something quieter one of these days though.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #17
This space intentionally left blank.
Boring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Discharged honorably many years ago.
Boring's Tacoma Gallery
4.0 liters/6 cylinders = 0.666 liters per cylinder
2.7 liters/4 cylinders = 0.675 liters per cylinder
Nearly the same volume. To me it seems the tone of the exhaust should be easy to replicate between the two engines. It would never sound like a V6 though. Just like the V6 doesn't sound like a 5.3 liter V8 (8x0.666=5.3).

Maybe try an aluminized steel exhaust? The two metals might be more effective at nulling high frequencies. Larger mufflers sounds right, but I'm only guessing. The one time I messed with this stuff I was told to use softer metals for a better sound.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in doing this myself. I would prefer not to hear the engine at all.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boring View Post
4.0 liters/6 cylinders = 0.666 liters per cylinder
2.7 liters/4 cylinders = 0.675 liters per cylinder
Nearly the same volume. To me it seems the tone of the exhaust should be easy to replicate between the two engines. It would never sound like a V6 though. Just like the V6 doesn't sound like a 5.3 liter V8 (8x0.666=5.3).

Maybe try an aluminized steel exhaust? The two metals might be more effective at nulling high frequencies. Larger mufflers sounds right, but I'm only guessing. The one time I messed with this stuff I was told to use softer metals for a better sound.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in doing this myself. I would prefer not to hear the engine at all.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #19
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick701 View Post
Flowmaster and a bigger motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo View Post
not much you can do with the 2.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGM View Post
STFU And GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
these 4 bangers are louder than the v6. Check out my build thread.

come and take a ride, it sounds way better in person.
x2. these 4 bangers are huge (compared to most i4s) and produce quite a deep exhaust note. i have a flowmaster super 44, and although it still does sound like a four it's pretty deep, not like a honda pencil sharpener exhaust or anything.