Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

To re-gear or not to re-gear?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
To re-gear or not to re-gear?

Okay, so im doing a 4wd conversion to my prerunner.

I have the 2.7 L, 4 cly with an automatic transmission. I have 4.56 gears stock in the rear. Its sluggish with 265/75r16 (31"x9.5") mud tires on it and it gets terrible gas mileage like 16 mpg. But with crappy all terrains i can get like 20 mpg.

So should i stick with 4.56s or should i go with 4.88s, i may stick with having a trail set of tires and wheels and a road set. But i will probably not go any bigger than a 32"x11.5 tire size. Will probably be running armor in the future.

So 4.56s or 4.88s or 5.29s?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
I'd re-gear it to 4.88 while you're doing everything. I can't imagine a 2.7 auto being powerful enough to ride around comfortably with 32s and armor
Old 07-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
There is not a big difference between 4.56 and 4.88.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well you think i should go 5.29s?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Where would you have the gears installed? I am in the same boat as you but unsure of the expense involved.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #7

I found a local guy who did my buddies truck, and charged him like $200 an axle, but my buddy bought the gears himself.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #9

Anybody else got anything to add to this?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Finks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant future

Name: 'Fink'
Finks99Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Bump
Deff curious on this too cause I got the 2.7 and pushing 33's MT
Old 07-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I think you should double check whether you've really got a 4.56 stock ratio. That's pretty short gearing for a factory truck.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I think you should double check whether you've really got a 4.56 stock ratio. That's pretty short gearing for a factory truck.
I do have it, it is a stock ratio for toyota tacomas:

Here: http://www.ttora.com/wiki/index.php/Gear_Codes
Old 08-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Why, why, why why why why why don't you just trade your truck in for a 4x4 and save cash?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
Why, why, why why why why why don't you just trade your truck in for a 4x4 and save cash?
It wouldnt save cash, sorry to tell ya.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #17
Little Taco that could
99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B <-Grunt.
Name: Chad
99yodataco's Tacoma Gallery
If your gonna regear, I'll trade you my stock 4.10s for your 4.56 plus some $$ of course.