Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

ECM trouble (I think)

Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
George Schenfeld is on a distinguished road
Name: George
George Schenfeld's Tacoma Gallery
1995 2.7 ECM trouble (I think)

My first post was on the circuit opening relay. My trouble seems to be the ECM. I asked the local dealer if I could bring the unit in and have it checked. They said no that it needs to be in the vehicle. Guess I'm asking if this is really true. Does anybody out there know of a shop that can test the ECM outside of the vehicle? In a nutshell the symptons are: Will not start, the engine has spark, the fuel pump puts out 45psi, new fuel filter, will not start with a jumper in place of the circuit opening relay, EFI relay good, fuses good, will not give an OBD II code, ECM connectors checked, Erratic milivolt reading from FC pin on circuit opening relay connector to ground with the key on. The engine does not flood when cranking. I think the injectors are not operating. Therefore I am thinking ECM bad. All this came on at once with no warning.

Thanks for reading
George
Old 07-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
Hard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: H
Hard's Tacoma Gallery
Im not sure how picky your ECM is but you may be able to find one in a yard and swap it out. That would depend on finding a taco of similar year and configuration, but that shouldnt be too hard. If you want to find one and dont have a good yard around, PM me and Ill tell you where to look. I would ask the dealer if there is anything that will disable the ECM when swapping.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
George Schenfeld is on a distinguished road
Name: George
George Schenfeld's Tacoma Gallery
I think I found the gremlin

Thanks Hard.

I have been looking for an ECM with the right numbers to replace the one in the Taco. There are several on ebay but none with the same part number. I have also looked on several internet sites with no luck. If you can sniff one up for me I will give it a shot. The number on the unit is 89661-04050, The toyota dealer in town (I live in hicktown Wyoming) is a real piece of work. I deal with Foss Toyota out of Casper. There is one junk yard outside of town but they want damn near new prices for their stuff and do not have much inventory. I didn't even call them. You said I should ask the dealer if swapping ECMs will screw up the code. Is there something else I should know about? I will post again when I get the ECM replaced.

Thanks again
George