Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4cyl-Need to put 800 pounds in my truck TOMORROW?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
bozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud of
Firefighter: wildland firefighter
bozotaco's Tacoma Gallery
4cyl-Need to put 800 pounds in my truck TOMORROW?

I've searched and didn't really find what I was looking for. I need to haul 800 pounds of feed in the bed of my truck for a 2 hour drive on 65mph plus roads. So I think with two passengers and some stuff it will easily be 1000 pounds. In the OWNERS MANUEL( I used caps because I actually looked) it lists the payload as 800 I think, but I'm wondering if this will be bad for the truck. Thanks for any help. I'm doing this tomorrow. (2004 2.7l Regular Cab)
Old 07-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozotaco View Post
I've searched and didn't really find what I was looking for. I need to haul 800 pounds of feed in the bed of my truck for a 2 hour drive on 65mph plus roads. So I think with two passengers and some stuff it will easily be 1000 pounds. In the OWNERS MANUEL( I used caps because I actually looked) it lists the payload as 800 I think, but I'm wondering if this will be bad for the truck. Thanks for any help. I'm doing this tomorrow. (2004 2.7l Regular Cab)
I thought the payload was listed at 1200 or 1300 including passengers? I know the 4-cylinder 4x4 Access Cab is 1300lbs. "Manual", btw, unless there's an owner of a mexican guy.

Sorry, you're first gen, ignore me.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
bozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud ofbozotaco has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
I thought the payload was listed at 1200 or 1300 including passengers? I know the 4-cylinder 4x4 Access Cab is 1300lbs. "Manual", btw, unless there's an owner of a mexican guy.

Sorry, you're first gen, ignore me.
Point well taken. But 1300lbs is the payload for a 2nd gen 4cyl?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Point well taken. But 1300lbs is the payload for a 2nd gen 4cyl?
For the second gen four cylinder with the 4x4 suspension, for sure. I think even the 5-luggers are 1200 or something. But I have no idea for first gens.

Your springs are also older, being an 04. You may be riding on your bumpstops with that much weight.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Save a horse ride a Railroader
Catcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: C-17 Loadmaster 2300 hrs
Name: Bryan
Catcrazed's Tacoma Gallery
Rent a trailer the tonge weight would be less. And renting a trailer will cost less than damaging your truck. But your clutch is what's gunna hurt the most. Or just rent a truck.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcrazed View Post
Rent a trailer the tonge weight would be less. And renting a trailer will cost less than damaging your truck. But your clutch is what's gunna hurt the most. Or just rent a truck.
X2 on the trailer. A cheapo open flatbed wouldn't cost much (or just borrow one from somebody else), and it'd be plenty.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
you'll be fine. just don't get in a stoplight drag race with a prius, your ass will get waaaxxxeeedddd.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Dont snap your axle. Goodluck.!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Thats not fun. Basically, you n your buddy(400) the load (800)and gas/gear(200) and anything else you put on the truck is the load You could be over the load by 600lb dependng on you n you buddies weight.

Also , I'm not familiar with the gen1 weights. I would suggest you graciously let your buddy borrow your truck, to get 600lb of feed ...for you. 400 lb less but still over a bit.ps be a nice guy and buy him gas.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
Wow, great to get a quick response thanks. Its for my friends farm, so I'm pretty much doing him a favor for some good pork and veggies and obviously gas. Maybe it would be wiser to take two 400lbs loads? I'm also guessing that it would drive like shit with 1000lbs in it. Or a trailer? Or I could borrow the new ford f-550 from work just for the weekend?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
Quote:
Wow, great to get a quick response thanks. Its for my friends farm, so I'm pretty much doing him a favor for some good pork and veggies and obviously gas. Maybe it would be wiser to take two 400lbs loads? I'm also guessing that it would drive like shit with 1000lbs in it. Or a trailer? Or I could borrow the new ford f-550 from work just for the weekend?
Any of the above would probably be smart. Depends how far you have to move it, too. But yeah, 2 trips, a trailer, or another truck, any of those would probably work fine.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
Jeez, an 550? You guys pulling houses?! Pretty sure it could haul your feed, you, your friend, your friend's car, your friend's house, your friend's kitchen sink, the feed supply place, and anything you're feeding, plus two roseannes!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
jsutter has a spectacular aura aboutjsutter has a spectacular aura about
jsutter's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you should have any problem.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
It's a truck *sigh* just do it. Just drive alert.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc350 View Post
It's a truck *sigh* just do it. Just drive alert.
Yes its a truck, but its my truck and I'm not about to overload it, or lend to a friend. Time to rent a trailer..
Old 07-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
I've had 1200# of grain in sacks on a pallet in the back 6 times and you can add 230lbs for me. Little squirrelly on the interstate but no problems.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #17
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes its a truck, but its my truck and I'm not about to overload it, or lend to a friend. Time to rent a trailer..
Are you sure it says 800lbs? I am pretty sure it's 1500 lbs payload. 800 might be kilos? I had a company truck that was an 04 Taco 5lug 4x2 and I can tell you for sure that we had 1000 lbs in it day in and day out. We actually still have it, someone else drives it now, it's got 150K on it and runs fine. The 5 lug 2wd trucks usually are higher payload than the 4x4s just because they weigh less to start with. I know for sure that the 09 5lug I have at work is 1500lbs and my 06 4x4 is only 1200.

I would do it, wouldn't think twice about it.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #18
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've hauled way MORE in concrete 50+ miles at a time before in my LOWERED truck.

I didn't even burn up the clutch.

Just do the DAMN thing.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #19
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I would do it in my 4 cylinder. Just choose your gears right so you're not lugging the engine or burning the clutch. Keep the RPM's high. Usually the weight ratings are based on the stopping power of the brakes so take it slow, not so much the engine or suspension.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #20
gtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to behold
gtrotter's Tacoma Gallery
It'll take it, just don't get stupid. I've had firewood stack to the top of the cab in mine, and had a trailer with 2 4wheelers, camping gear, etc. on it. Not fast, just leave yourself the usual "oh shit" room and you will be all right.